''Limits'' - ''know'', "set"

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

Context: Sometimes, when you have children, you have to teach them what is wrong and what is right; what they are allowed to do and what they aren't allowed to do. The things you can or can't do are your limits - where and when to start or stop.

My question: Are the uses of "limit" idiomatic/current English? If not, what do you suggest? Please take a look.

- Contextualized uses of "limit". Dialogue:

Jessica: 'Mom, the kids are giving me a hard time. I don't know what to do'.

Jessica's mother: ''You have to set limits. Tell them what they can and can't do. It's not easy to deal with children when they know no limits. These kids must learn to have limits or they'll make you crazy.''

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
  • Packard

USA, English
    I was taught that "limitations" was the noun form and "limit" was the verb form. But like "quote" and "quotation", that distinction has been lost. I think it is fine to use either. If you want to sound more "correct" then I would use "limitations". But for normal use, "limits" works fine for me.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    when they know no limits Hmmm... when they do not understand that there are limits. to know no limits = to be extremely self-confident, to be daring, to be innovative; not to be bound by current thinking or convention.

"Tesla was a genius, an inventor who knew no limits."

These kids must learn to have limits Hmmm... These kids must learn to have that there are limits / These kids must learn to have where the limits are/lie. / These kids must learn to have keep within those limits

< Previous | Next >