limits of what he can tolerate and still keep his self-respect

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
The man possessed by the Masochist is unable to defend himself psychologically; he allows others (and himself) to push him around, to exceed the limits of what he can tolerate and still keep his self-respect, not to mention his psychological and physical health.
(King, Warrior, Magician, Lover; R. Moore, D. Gillette)

[...] to exceed the limits of what he can tolerate and Δ (?) still Δ (?) keep his self-respect...

Would you be so kind as to tell me what exactly is ellipted somewhere there (if anything)?

Thanks.

• Barque

Tamil
    It implies that if a man tolerates too many things, lets too many insults/jeers/instances of bad treatment pass without reacting, he'll lose his self-respect as a result (of continually being pushed around). There's a certain limit to what a man can put up with without losing his self-respect.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A man can tolerate a certain amount of being pushed around without losing his self-respect.
    There is a limit to how much of this he can tolerate. Within that limit, he retains his self-respect. Beyond that limit, he loses his self-respect.
    Within the limit, he can tolerate being pushed around without losing his self-respect.
    That limit is the amount of being pushed around that he can tolerate while retaining his self-respect.
    That limit is the amount of being pushed around that he can tolerate and still keep his self-respect.

I don't believe anything is ellipted in the original sentence.
    But that may be my lack of imagination.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    the limits of what he can tolerate and (at the same time) still keep his self-respect
    or
    the limits of what he can tolerate still keeping his self-respect

< Previous | Next >