limonaje/lamanage/lemanaje - harbour toll/sailing

skarphéðinn

IE
Hello everyone,

would anyone know a technical term for the toll paid to the local harbour pilot ('práctico' in Spanish, in fact I don't know the technical term in English for that either!) for the help he provides in manoeuvring craft entering/exiting the harbour he is familiar with? In (historical) Spanish it's called limonaje/lemanaje, is there an equivalent in English, historical or otherwise?

Thank you!
skrph

• Hello everyone,

would anyone know a technical term for the toll paid to the local harbour pilot ('práctico' in Spanish, in fact I don't know the technical term in English for that either!) for the help he provides in manoeuvring craft entering/exiting the harbour he is familiar with? In (historical) Spanish it's called limonaje/lemanaje, is there an equivalent in English, historical or otherwise?

Thank you!
    skrph

Perhaps not everywhere, but in some places:

PILOTAGE DUES -A fee payable by the owner or operator of a ship for the services of a pilot. This fee is normally based on the ship's tonnage.

Sometimes the fee is just called "pilotage."

other example

§ 33-4-47. Penalty for acting without license.
    Any person who pilots a foreign vessel, or an American vessel under register, or any
    other vessel subject to the payment of pilotage fees under the provisions of this chapter,
    entering or leaving the Port of ......

(b) In addition to the pilotage fee based on the draft of the vessel,

Last edited:
    Loadmanage o lodemanage - son formas arcaicas. Puede haber que el origen de la palabra es gales y no inglés ??

The ancient Britons, as the Welsh do to-day, call a pilot llywydd (lode). Lodemanage, in Skinner's 'Etymology,' is the word for the price paid to a pilot.

LOADMANAGE, maritime law, contracts. The pay to loadsmen; that is, persons who sail or row before ships, in barks or small vessels, with instruments for towing the ship, and directing her course, in order that she may escape the dangers in her way. Poth. Des Avaries, n. 147; Guidon de la Mer, ch. 14; Bac. Ab. Merchant and Merchandise, F.

Last edited:

skarphéðinn

IE
    Thank you everyone, great discussion - as for the etymology of the word, I find most convincing the explanation that I report below (sorry, it's just in Spanish and it is from a wikisource, but after 20-odd years in philology I believe it well-founded) that it is in fact a word of Germanic origin, a compond of 'lode' (in the sense of lead, weight) and 'man', since these pilots used leads/weights to sound the depths of the harbours and see where the safest passage could be found.

I don't think it's specifically English (as avizor says)... there could be calques or spontaneous creations in different languages due to the fact that these pilots used the same instruments (lóð for instance still means 'weight' in Icelandic), and also the -man part of the compound is definitely Germanic in origin and the Spanish limonaje is likely to have come to the language through Old French (with the usual phonological changes helped by folk etymology and such).

LIMONAJE, loc.- Lemanaje: el derecho que se paga al piloto práctico por la dirección de entrada de un buque en el puerto o salida de él; también la operación misma. Es curiosa la etimología de esta palabra, según Larousse, en su gran Diccionario, y debe consignarse traducida aquí.
    «Lamanage.- Profesión de los pilotos, lamaneurs.
    Lamaneur (del antiguo francés Laman, literalmente el hombre del plomo - de lot, plomo, y mann, hombre-, en flamenco lotman, en alemán lothsman, porque los lamaneurs se sirven ordinariamente de sondas de plomo). Mar.- Piloto que conoce particularmente un sitio de desembarco, y está encargado de dirigir a él los buques.
    En algunos puertos de costa se llama todavía lemán el piloto práctico, de donde procede directamente la palabra lemanaje; y Capmani, en su Glos. al cod. de las costum. marítim. de Barcelona, dice que «asimismo se denomina (el práctico) locman, del latín locomanens, que es decir habitante del lugar».
    (http://es.wikisource.org/wiki/Sotileza:_31)

Thanks again!
    skrph

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >