limp vs feeble

edward_mao

China-Chinese
Hey, guys:
Grandmother has been getting more ____ lately, we have to look after her in turn.
a)vulnerable b)tough c)limp d)feeble
Which will you choose among these four choice? And why?

• garryknight

UK, English
    I'd choose 'feeble' since grandmothers tend to get more feeble and need to be looked after. If she was getting more tough she'd need less looking after. If she was getting more vulnerable it wouldn't necessarily imply that she needs to be looked after more. And grandmothers usually only get more limp when they're unconscious. The words 'lately' and 'look after' lead me to option d.

garryknight

UK, English
    In the context of grandmothers getting more limp, yes, I think so. I can't think of any other sense that would fit that particular sentence. Let's see if anyone else has an opinion.

jacinta

USA English
    To be limp means to not hold a strong form. Lettuce becomes limp if left unrefrigerated for a while. If a person goes limp, it means they suddenly lose muscle strength or form and fall to the ground. "She went limp when she heard her dog had died." It would be a more sudden condition in a person. An older person gets feeble as the years go by.

JJchang

NZ - English, Chinese
    edward_mao said:
    Hey, guys:
    Grandmother has been getting more ____ lately, we have to look after her in turn.
    Judging purely from the syllables, I would say vulnerable.
    (tough is just ridiculous, limp = limper, feeble = feebler...)

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    edward_mao said:
    Hey, guys:
    I would say 'feeble'...
    It just means that she is getting old..her mind is slowing down...her bones are not as strong as they used to be...and can't get around as quick as she used to...chasing after the feeble old men with the limp erections...

te gato;)

< Previous | Next >