Lindberg's adventure crossing the Atlantic

cool-jupiter

Japanese
Hello, forum veterans. I have a question. I recently came across the following sentence in a workbook that said Lindberg's adventure crossing the Atlantic in an airplane took place in 1927.

I really can't seem to be sure on whether it is possible to say adventure crossing here. I would probably say Lindberg's adventure of crossing the Atlantic. If you could tell me whether I have this right or not, I would be very appreciative.

• wandle

English - British
    Two problems:
    (1) Spelling mistake in the name. Correct is 'Lindbergh'. Did the source spell it without 'h'?
    (2) You have not given us the full sentence. The expression in bold is only a phrase, not a sentence.
    It is not possible to say whether that phrase in isolation is correct or not.

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    It is a complete sentence.
    Lindbergh's adventure (crossing the Atlantic) took place in 1927.

The participle phrase 'crossing the Atlantic in an airplane' defines 'adventure'.

cool-jupiter

Japanese
    wandle - Thank you for your quick reply. (1) I just did a typo... The text says 'Lindbergh'. (2) Lindberg's adventure crossing the Atlantic in an airplane took place in 1927. is all there is in the workbook. Sorry, there is nothing more.

Andygc - Thank you for your comment. Glad to be respectably and expectably corrected.

Andygc

British English
    Is an adventure inherently different from a journey? I think we could happily say "Lindbergh's journey crossing the Atlantic in an aeroplane took place in 1927". I don't see why the adventure should not be seen as having crossed the ocean. But I am not objecting to inserting "of".

Myridon

English - US
    Commas would help. :)
    Lindberg's adventure, crossing the Atlantic in an airplane, took place in 1927.

Packard

USA, English
    I think most people would leave out "adventure" entirely. I guess you could replace "adventure" with "flight" too. Adventure sounds trite in this case where the flight was a life or death undertaking.

Lindberg's adventure crossing the Atlantic in an airplane took place in 1927.

Lindberg's crossing the Atlantic in an airplane took place in 1927.

Lindberg's death defying flight crossing the Atlantic in an airplane took place in 1927.

cool-jupiter

Japanese
    Myridon - Commas do help. Now I am better understanding the sentence.

Packard - Thank you for suggesting other ways to put the original sentence! Your examples are quite instructive.

< Previous | Next >