line/hook/fix up

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
Hello everyone
Please tell me which choice below (or rather a better choice that I need to know) works better in my sentences in informal AmE/BrE:

- I got myself out on a limb. I need to clear my check by tomorrow. No matter how, I must ............ 2 million bucks by tomorrow.

a) line up [to prepare, organize, or arrange something]
b) hook up [hook somebody up with something to help someone get something that they need or want]
c) fix up [to arrange for someone to have something that they need]

For me, all three options work in this sense, but "b" is the best, "c" sounds a bit of BE and "a" works properly too.

• Barque

Tamil
    Of your choices, only "line up" sounds possible to me.

But I think I'd prefer "get my hands on".

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    Of your choices, only "line up" sounds possible to me.

But I think I'd prefer "get my hands on".
    Thank you, but I'm sure that I've heard something like the fifth defenition in the following link:

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/hook_up
    - Hey man, can you hook me up with some weed?

Here I'm sure both "line up" and "fix up" would sound like a hipster BE. Also in BE I can use some verbs like "sort" in the same sense, while whereas I don't wish to be inclined to a specific sort of English, I would avoid using them. So,

1) I wonder if you could help me clarify between the usage of these two cases. I need to discover why "hook up" works in my new example and does not work in my original one.

2) Please let me know whether in my new example, "Hey man, can you hook me up with some weed?" can I use "get hold of" instead of "hook me up with" or not.
    Thank you Barque.

Last edited:

Barque

Tamil
    1) I wonder if you could help me clarify between the usage of these two cases.
    I need to discover why "hook up" works in my new example and does not work in my original one.
    There isn't a grammatical reason but one of usage. "Hook up" connotes some amount of "fixing" or improvisation, for want of a better word.
    Hey man, can you hook me up with some weed?
    Weed is illegal in many places, not the sort of thing you can just go and buy from a shop. Asking "Can you hook me up with some weed?" suggests "Can you do something/make some arrangement to get me some weed?"

Money is different. Yes, two million dollars is a lot of money but it doesn't have the same "irregular" connotation that weed has. In some business circles, getting two million dollars in a day could be commonplace. In any case I assume two million was a number you just used as an example. It could just as well have been a thousand.

2) Please let me know whether in my new example, "Hey man, can you hook me up with some weed?" can I use "get hold of" instead of "hook me up with" or not.
    I suppose you could ask "Can you get hold of some weed for me?" or "Can you help me get hold of some weed?". I'd prefer "Can you get me some weed?" or "Can you help me get/find some weed?" but that might be personal preference.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    There isn't a grammatical reason but one of usage. "Hook up" connotes some amount of "fixing" or improvisation, for want of a better word.

Weed is illegal in many places, not the sort of thing you can just go and buy from a shop. Asking "Can you hook me up with some weed?" suggests "Can you do something/make some arrangement to get me some weed?"

Money is different. Yes, two million dollars is a lot of money but it doesn't have the same "irregular" connotation that weed has. In some business circles, getting two million dollars in a day could be commonplace. In any case I assume two million was a number you just used as an example. It could just as well have been a thousand.

I suppose you could ask "Can you get hold of some weed for me?" or "Can you help me get hold of some weed?". I'd prefer "Can you get me some weed?" or "Can you help me get/find some weed?" but that might be personal preference.
    So let me tell you my takeaway on what you mentioned:

- When you are going to prepare sth illigal (like weed) for sb, the best choice would be "hook up" pehaps because it a bit sneaky. In this sense, also, "get hold of" would work.

When you obtain something normal (like money) for someone, the best choices would be "line up" and "get hold of".

Do you confirm that Barque?
    Please let me know about it so that I could ask you my last question. :)

Barque

Tamil
    When you are going to prepare sth illigal (like weed) for sb, the best choice would be "hook up", pehaps because it a bit sneaky.
    I didn't say "hook up" is the best choice. I do't know if it is. I was explaining why "Hook me up with some weed" sounds natural but "I must hook up two million dollars by tomorrow" does not.
    When you obtain something normal (like money) for someone, the best choices would be "line up" and "get hold of".
    I'd advise you not to formulate rules based on what I said. My answer is to be read in your context and in respect of your sentence. "I must line up two million bucks by tomorrow" and "I must get hold of two million bucks by tomorrow", especially the latter, work. However I don't think "I must fix up/hook up two million bucks by tomorrow" sounds natural.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    I didn't say "hook up" is the best choice. I do't know if it is. I was explaining why "Hook me up with some weed" sounds natural but "I must hook up two million dollars by tomorrow" does not.

I'd advise you not to formulate rules based on what I said. My answer is to be read in your context and in respect of your sentence. "I must line up two million bucks by tomorrow" and "I must get hold of two million bucks by tomorrow", especially the latter, work. However I don't think "I must fix up/hook up two million bucks by tomorrow" sounds natural.
    Thank you very much Bargue. That was really useful. ;)

I didn't say "hook up" is the best choice. I do't know if it is.
    And not to be forgotten, my last question is:
    For my "weed" example, from among the options "get hod of" and "hook me up", which choice works better for you and why?

Last edited:

Barque

Tamil
    I was looking at some old threads and I realised I didn't specifically answer this question of yours.
    For my "weed" example, from among the options "get hod of" and "hook me up", which choice works better for you and why?
    I'm not sure I have a preference between the two.

As I said earlier:
    I'd prefer "Can you get me some weed?" or "Can you help me get/find some weed?"...

Myridon

English - US
    No matter how, I must ............ 2 million bucks by tomorrow.
    b) hook up [hook somebody up with something to help someone get something that they need or want]
    - Hey man, can you hook me up with some weed?
    Ignoring the meaning for a moment, ... Notice that b) is used in a different sentence pattern. You'd have to rewrite the sentence, not just fill in the blank.
    Grammatically correct nonsense: No matter how, I must fix myself up with 2 million bucks by tomorrow.
    c) also cannot be simply put in the blank even if it had the correct meaning.

< Previous | Next >