Line of concern

< Previous | Next >

englishjasmin

Slavic
Is "line of concern" a valid english expression, and if yes, what does it mean, and in what context can it be used?

Thank you.

• Matching Mole

England, English
    Could you provide us some context (that is the usual way round!)? Where did you come across it, etc.

englishjasmin

Slavic
    I am fluent in English and I was replying to an e-mail saying "My line of concern is that I will be on holiday during that time and I am not sure if I could cancel my holiday plans." However, I don't know where I go the expression from, so I started to search for it in Google to find if native speakers use that expression.

In Google I found 30,060 results containing "line of concern"; example: "A new line of concern, especially in Europe, refers to the stability of the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic Ocean." However, before introducing the expression "line of concern" to my active vocabulary, I wanted to check here if it is correct and how it is used correctly.

sandpiperlily

In your email, I would just say "my concern is."

In the example you give from Google, "line of concern" seems to be somewhat parallel to "line of argument" / "line of thinking" -- it's not simply a concern, but a series of related concerns. This doesn't really seem to apply to a simple situation like schedule conflicts.

Andygc

British English
    I am fluent in English and I was replying to an e-mail saying "My line of concern is that I will be on holiday during that time and I am not sure if I could cancel my holiday plans." However, I don't know where I go the expression from, so I started to search for it in Google to find if native speakers use that expression.
    In that context you don't have a line of concern, you have a point of concern. The possible instability of the Gulf Stream could be a line of concern because it has the potential to cause wide-ranging climatic, environmental and commercial effects - rather more complex than can I/can't I cancel my holiday?

manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
    Line of argument, yes. Along the lines of, yes. Line of enquiry, yes.

Line of concern, I have never heard. I agree with Andygc : point of concern...or simply 'My worry is that...'

< Previous | Next >