linguistic/ grammatical description: With rapid advances ..., researchers have

< Previous | Next >

genie_in_a_bottle

Polish
With rapid advances in computer technologies, researchers have tried to create simulation models to help construction ...

I would be very grateful if someone could describe this sentence in a linguistic way. I cannot really tell what the function of the subordinate clause in this sentence is. Or is it a clause if it does not contain a verb in the first place? Thank you in advance.

• andrzejewskil

Polish
    With rapid advances in computer technologies, researchers have tried to create simulation models to help construction ...

I believe the whole part of the unfinished sentence before the come is often referred to as an adverbial. The fubction is that of a backdrop.

kitenok

Hi genie,

Franzi is right that you should give us the whole sentence if there is more to it. But I think it is possible to parse what is there, if this is what you mean by requesting a "linguistic description." Here is how I would do it phrase by phrase:

Adverbial prepositional phrase modifying main verb "have tried"
    Adjectival prepositional phrase modifying noun "advances"
    Subject of sentence
    Main verb
    Infinitive phrase used as direct object of main verb
    Infinitive phrase used as adverbial of purpose

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Is it the 'with' part that's confusing? It's common to begin sentences with a clause like "With [description of a situation], ..."; it means "Given that this is the situation, ..." or "In the context of this happening, ..."

< Previous | Next >