linguistic trip

sapho

French
Hello everyone / 大家好!

Does anyone know how to say "linguistic trip" in Chinese ?

Thank you very for your help!!
谢谢你们的帮助!

• GamblingCamel

USA English
    Hi SAPPHO.
    I doubt that most native Chinese speakers will understand what "linguistic trip" means. Please explain more.

Are you taking a trip to many countries, where different languages are spoken?
    Are you suggesting that surfing the Word Reference Forum is like going on a linguistic trip?
    Are you reading a novel whose fantastical language make you feel that you're "tripping" on drugs?

Maybe you could select a couple of Google examples that are similar to what you are trying to say in English.

sapho

French
    In American English, it would be a "language study programme". By saying this, I mean a trip that mostly students take to another country, in order to improve a language. Students can stay in a host family and have lessons during the day. For example, a Chinese student could go to the US for a month, to improve its English, stay in a US host family and go to school every day to have English lessons.

I hope I made it clearer,
    Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin70s

Mandarin/Chiu Chow/Cantonese
    The closest established term I can find is "外语游学“. Interestingly, Google Translation comes up with "语言之旅“, which is surprisingly good, except that it is more often used in the figurative sense, meaning a journey into the language. In mainland China, you may see a lot of advertisements for "外语夏令营“, which literally means "Foreign Language Summer Camp". It's not exactly what a linguistic trip is about, but it's the most common term describing the way of learning English in a self-imposed foreign-language only environment, which is not necessarily in a foreign country. If you want to specify the location being a foreign country, "国外(美国、法国)外语夏令营“ might be the way to put it. Of course, call it "冬令营" when it's in the winter time. The reason for "summer" and "winter" is that it corresponds to the only two vacations that Chinese students have in a year. An overseas summer/winter camp, as far as I know,
    doesn't necessarily mean that the students have to live together like camping. They might, as you said, stay with a host family in the host country.

w84u

Chinese
    In American English, it would be a "language study programme". By saying this, I mean a trip that mostly students take to another country, in order to improve a language. Students can stay in a host family and have lessons during the day. For example, a Chinese student could go to the US for a month, to improve its English, stay in a US host family and go to school every day to have English lessons.

I hope I made it clearer,
    Thank you very much for your help!
    It sounds like a very new thing. Google has not found a commonly-accepted translation of it in Chinese. In my opinion, 外语旅游 would be concise. Maybe 外语学习旅游 is clearer, but a little too longer to me.

Green6

Wu - Chinese
    Hi Sapho, what do you mean exactly a "linguistic trip?" in your native language, I mean in French? un voyage linguistique ou un séjour linguistique?

I would say that "修学游" could be a Chinese equivelant for "voyage linguistique".

tianshanxyz

Chinese
    I think 语言之旅 is the best choice. If someone experienced a linguistic trip, he does not necessarily go abroad; just as what she said, the trip maybe refer to his experience in a multilingual class. In Chinese, 旅 exactly means " to have a trip physically or mentally".

< Previous | Next >