lire ...en franc ou en euro

charlie2

Hi,
The above comes from here. How does one read something en franc ou en euro, please?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Il lit Frédéric Beigbeder en franc ou en euro, s’habille chez GAP, mange bio, hait la mondialisation - tout en possédant un porte-feuille d’actions boursières - et jongle avec les paradoxes comme avec son palm pilot : le Bobo …
[/FONT]

• deeosama

france, french
    charlie2 said:
    Hi,
    The above comes from here. How does one read something en franc ou en euro, please?
    I don't really understand myselfe. I only know that Frédéric Beigbeder have writen a book headed "99 francs".
    It's probably a joke or insinuation just to say bobos are reading this kind of books.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I didn't understand very much myself, so I only gave the meaning of "en franc ou en euro", but the connotation itself is not very clear. Maybe reading the synopsis of the book would help : it's about making money, is this an important subject of interest for the snobs ? maybe.

Aupick

UK, English
    So is it just a swipe at the way that Bobos fancy themselves as so hip and modern, so at ease with both francs and euros: they'll go so far as to
    modernise the unmodernisable, and try to convert anything to the latest "hip" fashion, even if it makes no sense?

geve

France, French
    Frederic Beigbeder could be considered as a bobo icon : He used to work as a creative in an advertising agency. Then he wrote a book called "99 francs" (that was indeed renamed later "14,99€" when the currency changed), where he denigrated the whole world of advertising, how superficial it was etc.
    Now he attends every party where one must be seen, appears in "intellectual" TV shows and makes books reviews...

I think that writing "Il lit Frédéric Beigbeder en franc ou en euro" is a litterary way to refer to this particular book (he wrote other books since then) without saying the whole title - or the two titles of the book ! ...

Sirène

France - français
    I think that writing "Il lit Frédéric Beigbeder en franc ou en euro" is a litterary way to refer to this particular book (he wrote other books since then) without saying the whole title - or the two titles of the book ! ...
    C'est la première solution qui m'a traversé l'esprit en lisant ta question, Charlie. :)
    99 francs n'est d'ailleurs pas un mauvais livre, malgré la personnalité de Beigbeder que l'on peut trouver agaçante ou pire encore. Comme souvent, « l'oeuvre vaut mieux que l'homme. »

charlie2

Thank you everyone, for the excellent explanations and suggestions.
    I read the première page of the book through Cherine's link. I must confess that I am not a bobo after all. ;) But then again on ne doit pas juger un livre par sa première page.

Sirène

France - français
    charlie2 said:
    Thank you everyone, for the excellent explanations and suggestions.
    I read the première page of the book through Cherine's link. I must confess that I am not a bobo after all. ;) But then again on ne doit pas juger un livre par sa première page.
    Je dois avouer que la première page reflète assez bien le reste... :eek: On aime ou on n'aime pas.

Attachments

< Previous | Next >