(list/mention/other verb) something as a possible cause?

< Previous | Next >

takashi0930

Japanese
In a post-marketing survey of Drug A, a doctor reported some infection in a patient. As a possible cause other than Drug A, the doctor (listed/mentioned/other verb) the increased susceptibility to infection due to the anti-tumor agent the patient was concomitantly taking.

What verb would work here? I think "list" won't work because we're talking about only one thing. I think "mention" won't work either because the doctor wrote it clearly in a survey form, so it's not "mention". I'd appreciate native speakers' help.:)

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I doubt any verb would work here as the construction seems to be wrong.
    What is the source?
    and
    Have you copied it correctly?

london calling

UK English
    You are right about list: there is no list, so it does not work here. I think you need stated (which means declared) here, but only if you re-word the sentence, as the construction is wrong, I think.

takashi0930

Japanese
    Thank you.
    I didn't copy it. I'm translating it into English.

How would you construct the sentence correctly using "state"?

takashi0930

Japanese
    Thank you, but no.

The doctor stated that, other than Drug A, another possible cause of the reported infection was the "increased susceptibility to infection" due to the anti-tumor agent.
    (The concomitant antitumor agent is known to cause infection. So the doctor thinks the easiness to get infection is the cause of the reported infection.)

takashi0930

Japanese
    Thank you again. :) Now that you know what I mean, could you also tell me where is wrong in the original sentence in my first post?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "the increased susceptibility to infection was/could be due to the anti-tumor agent the patient was concomitantly taking." is a noun clause but it has no active verb.
    Or simplified:
    the doctor (listed/mentioned/other verb) it due to something

that the increased susceptibility to infection was/could be due to the anti-tumor agent the patient was concomitantly taking. :tick:

london calling

UK English
    In a post-marketing survey of Drug A, a doctor reported some infection in a patient. As a possible cause other than Drug A, the doctor (verb) the increased susceptibility to infection due to the anti-tumor agent the patient was concomitantly taking.

Its main issue is that it is not immediately clear: you may have noticed that I did not understand what you were trying to say. ;) And that was due to the construction. The construction you use, although grammatical, makes it difficult to find an appropriate, natural-sounding verb. You could use 'indicated', or 'noted', but they both still sound a little odd.

takashi0930

Japanese
    > London calling
    I see. Thank you!

"the increased susceptibility to infection was/could be due to the anti-tumor agent the patient was concomitantly taking." is a noun clause but it has no active verb.
    ???
    I did include verbs in my original sentence. I wrote "listed/mentioned/other verb."

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The strangeness/ambiguity arises from the poor use of “due to”, which seems to be qualifying “mentioned” – i.e the reason why he mentioned it.

{the doctor mentioned} the increased susceptibility to infection {due to the anti-tumor agent the patient was concomitantly taking.}

In fact, you, I assume, meant

the doctor mentioned
    {the increased susceptibility to infection which was due to the anti-tumor agent the patient was concomitantly taking.}

Here, everything in brackets can be reduced to “it” and the final clause is a relative clause qualifying the increased susceptibility to infection.

< Previous | Next >