Listen about

Valentina07

Russian-Russia
Hello,everyone! I've never heard people using the verb LISTEN with the preposition ABOUT. So I wonder weather it's possible to use them together.
E.G. 1) I will listen about your father next time. 2) I want to listen about your adventure

Thanks in advance!

• HotIcyDonut

Russian - Russia
    Нет. Используйте hear out on.

I will hear you out on your father next time
    I want to hear you out on your adventure

Vovan

Russian
    1) I will listen about your father next time. 2) I want to listen about your adventure
    В первом я бы "перевернул" перевод:
    (You'll) tell me about your father next time.
    Why don't you tell me about your father next time?
    А во втором я бы использовал "hear":
    I want to hear about your adventure.
    Но, вообще говоря, ничего страшного в использовании "listen (about)" лично я не вижу.
    Раз вы пишете по-английски, то могли бы адресовать свой вопрос форуму English Only.

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    В первом я бы "перевернул" перевод:
    (You'll) tell me about your father next time.
    Why don't you tell me about your father next time?
    А во втором я бы использовал "hear":
    I want to hear about your adventure.
    Но, вообще говоря, ничего страшного в использовании "listen (about)" лично я не вижу.
    Раз вы пишете по-английски, то могли бы адресовать свой вопрос форуму English Only.
    Agree with all points (including the suggestion to ask the question in English Only)

Valentina07

Russian-Russia
    Thanks to everyone! I really appreciate your help! Thank you for advice about English forum. I just forgot about it)

HotIcyDonut

Russian - Russia
    I don't think I have ever heard that expression, at least in AE.
    From Anglophone newspaper "The Globe and Mail":

"Pamela Anderson is hoping Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will hear her out on behalf of seals"

From "Tribune":

"THE Government will today meet with the ‘preferred’ energy bidder selected by the former Christie administration to “hear them out” on their proposal, Tribune Business can reveal."

From CNN report on Trump campaign during pre-election campaigning:

"That's right. It does reveal a split between President Obama and Hillary Clinton, and if you hear Donald Trump out on the campaign trail, this is one of his bread and butter issues, trade"

Last edited:

Rosett

Russian
    From Anglophone newspaper "The Globe and Mail":

"Pamela Anderson is hoping Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will hear her out on behalf of seals"

From "Tribune":

"THE Government will today meet with the ‘preferred’ energy bidder selected by the former Christie administration to “hear them out” on their proposal, Tribune Business can reveal."

From CNN report on Trump campaign during pre-election campaigning:

"That's right. It does reveal a split between President Obama and Hillary Clinton, and if you hear Donald Trump out on the campaign trail, this is one of his bread and butter issues, trade"
    "Hear smb. out" stands for выслушать кого-л. "On" would introduce the indirect object, optional ("на тему..."). It could be "...about," as well, ("о чём-л.")

< Previous | Next >