listen in on

miribarren

Spanish Argentina
Hi! Could anybody help me understand the meaning of 'listened in on at' in this sentence, please? The FSO reportedly told the Russian press that these scandals, plus reports about Russia's Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev being listened in on at the G20 summit in London, means it has "decided to expand the practice of creating paper documents".
I feel really lost with this combination of prepositions and haven't been able to find examples anywhere. Thanks!

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    To listen in on someone means to listen to what they are saying to someone else. This may be with or without their knowledge. Here, it was without Medvedev's knowledge. In other situations, it might be with their knowledge: an experienced salesperson might say to a new one "Listen in on my conversation with this customer, you'll learn something."

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    [....]
    The FSO reportedly told the Russian press that these scandals, plus reports about Russia's Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev being listened in on at the G20 summit in London, means it has "decided to expand the practice of creating paper documents".
    [....]
    Where did you see this sentence, miribarren? You should acknowledge the source of any quotation.

< Previous | Next >