listening and speaking in a one to one ratio

van Soren

Romanian
I want to compliment someone for having a rare personel quality. He is a really good listener. How does this sound, is this correct english:

At every encounter the person in front of me had the admirable capacity of listening and speaking in a one to one ratio.

I want to express that the person was using speaking just as much as listening as a means of communication.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, van Soren. I doubt many readers or listeners would understand "in a one to one ratio". I advise you to choose another way of expressing the idea, preferably a clear one. Here's one possibility: I noticed that the person listened as much as he spoke.

Welcome to the forum.

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    I want to compliment someone for having a rare personel quality. He is a really good listener. How does this sound, is this correct english:

At every encounter the person in front of me had the admirable capacity of listening and speaking in a one to one ratio.

I want to express that the person was using speaking just as much as listening as a means of communication.
    Welcome to the forum!
    I’ve never heard ratios used this way, and although people might understand what you mean, I think a more natural way to express a 1:1 ratio in the above context would be “equally well”, as in ‘…he shows/has the ability to listen and converse equally well.”
    Bic.

Edit, ...or as owlman suggests, "as much as"

< Previous | Next >