lit

KHS

This is a new meaning of an existing word.

Meaning: excellent or exciting
Example: A student, upon hearing he got a good grade on an exam, exclaimed, "Lit!"
Where I've seen it: (1) in an email from a student (exactly the situation I described in my example), and later (2) on Facebook. Following these two experiences, I consulted with friends and found out it was in regular use with the meaning of "excellent" or, sometimes, "exciting."
Other information: "Lit" is the past participle of the verb "to light" being used as an adjective. An earlier meaning of this form was "intoxicated," but I rarely hear this use any more.

• GOAT117

Spanish / English
    It's just a fad.. Just as gnarly, whoa, dope, sick.... I'd be highly (opposite of lit) if this were added.

KHS

Goat117 - Actually, this forum is for words that people might hear or come across, and can't find in the dictionary. As far as I know, they don't get added to the dictionary, they're just a resource.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Goat117 - Actually, this forum is for words that people might hear or come across, and can't find in the dictionary. As far as I know, they don't get added to the dictionary, they're just a resource.
    Exactly:). A dictionary thread search will include this thread, so if a new word or meaning isn't in WR's English dictionaries it may be found right here.

This may be useful additional information:
    Rap has also given us a new meaning of lit. In the last ten or so years, lit has transitioned from being applied to the act of intoxicating ("gonna get lit") to the environment of those who are lit ("party's lit"). The wildness of such parties has led to lit gaining the meaning “exciting,” as well as a broader meaning along the lines of “excellent” (“Leslie Jones's commentary on the Olympics was lit"). We have evidence of the “exciting” and “excellent” meanings way back to 2004, and earlier use is likely—slang is often spoken long before it’s written down. This extended meaning of lit is a favorite on social media like Twitter
    It's Lit (Merriam-Webster)

Mrs JJJ

USA
    English (British)
    Actually, this forum is for words that people might hear or come across, and can't find in the dictionary. As far as I know, they don't get added to the dictionary, they're just a resource.

Thank you, KHS. And Velisarius. I hadn't realised this, either.

< Previous | Next >