Literature

Vanda

Moderesa de Beagá
Português/ Brasil
Hello there,

I'd like to read Czech books in which I could understand more about this
people soul. Besides the well-known Kafka and Kundera, can someone
suggest some books translated to English, French or Spanish?
Thank you very much!

• Jana337

čeština
    Vanda said:
    Hello there,

I'd like to read Czech books in which I could understand more about this
    people soul. Besides the well-known Kafka and Kundera, can someone
    suggest some books translated to English, French or Spanish?
    Thank you very much!
    I don't think Kafka will tell you much about the Czech soul. :)

My suggestions:
    Bohumil Hrabal
    Josef Škvorecký
    Ivan Klíma
    Jiří Gruša
    Ludvík Vaculík
    Jan Skácel
    Karel Čapek

I am sure that some of their books were translated in the languages you mentioned.

Hope this helps. ;)

Jana

Vanda

Moderesa de Beagá
    Português/ Brasil
    Thank you Jana!

I knew you'd appear as efficient as ever! I'll try to find those mentioned.
    Actually, as for Karel , I have already read him, but in Fairytales (all of
    them English tales, though).

Jana337

čeština
    Vanda said:
    Thank you Jana!

I knew you'd appear as efficient as ever! I'll try to find those mentioned.
    Actually, as for Karel , I have already read him, but in Fairytales (all of
    them English tales, though).
    Just to make sure that you are not missing something: Do you know that Karel is the first name? I am asking because you referred to him as if he were a buddy of yours. :D

Now seriously: Is there anything you are particularly interested in? A genre, topic, era? I will gladly elaborate on this. The names above mostly represent the oldest generation of the contemporary literature (Čapek is an exception, obviously) - some of them already passed away. I am not sure about translations of younger authors. Needless to say, the list also reflects my personal preference.

Some additions to the list:
    Arnošt Lustig
    Viktor Fischl
    Their best known books revolve around the war. They have lived abroad for many years.

On reflection, I also include Jaroslav Hašek, whose Švejk is supposed to be the very definition of the Czech soul. But I don't like the book very much.

May suggest a Hungarian Jew as a key to the Czech soul? Ephraim Kishon, deceased in February, embodies what I think is the Czech sense of humor. But you may have problems with translations because his main market is Germany and now, increasingly, my part of Europe.

Questions are welcome.

Jana

Vanda

Moderesa de Beagá
    Português/ Brasil
    Jana337 said:
    Just to make sure that you are not missing something: Do you know that Karel is the first name? I am asking because you referred to him as if he were a buddy of yours. :D

Me and Karel, these friends! old... very old friends. lol
    As I was not sure if I could manage the Č word I chose the easiest, just the 1st name. hehehe

Is there anything you are particularly interested in? A genre, topic, era?
    Not at all. Any topic, any era, anything.All welcome!

On reflection, I also include Jaroslav Hašek, whose Švejk is supposed to be the very definition of the Czech soul. But I don't like the book very much.
    This one, wow! Would be great, because of this Czech soul.

May suggest a Hungarian Jew as a key to the Czech soul? Ephraim Kishon, deceased in February, embodies what I think is the Czech sense of humor. But you may have problems with translations because his main market is Germany and now, increasingly, my part of Europe.
    Again , this German language ...always a thorn in my flesh. I've been postponing to take it seriously and it keeps on chasing me.
    The Czech sense of humor, I'll tell you, as far as I know , it says a loooot to
    my soul.

Questions are welcome.Jana
    Again , thank you. I''ll take advantage of it. ;)

< Previous | Next >