Lithuanian: foreigners' names

Psi-Lord

Portuguese - Brazil
How are foreigners’ names treated in Lithuanian? Is it more usual to adapt them, so they fit native declension patterns, or leave them as they are, which might perhaps render them indeclinable? I tried having a look around random Lithuanian Wikipedia articles, but found them… hmmm… ‘inconclusive’, with e.g. Hillary Clinton and Viljamas Klintonas, or Nicolas Sarkozy and Žakas Širakas showing up together in the same articles.

• deine

Lithuania - lithuanian
    Hello,

In Lithuania it is more usual to adapt them to lithuanian language. It is not so good for foreigners but more understandable for lithuanians.

Psi-Lord

Portuguese - Brazil
    Dėkui! :)

In a parallel discussion somewhere else, someone also pointed me to this article, and the sections ‘Adaptavimas’ and ‘Gramatinimas’ proved most interesting as well.

Using those articles, by the way, I’d like to ask two further questions, if I may.

What’s the distinction between masculine names ending in a consonant that get -as and masculine names ending in a consonant that get -is? I initially had the impression that names ending in -r or -l (even if followed by a silent -e) got -is, and the rest got -as (Schiller > Šileris, Kohl > Kolis, Grenoble > Grenoblis, but Brugmann > Brugmanas, Stewart > Stiuartas, etc.), but, if that was the case, one would get Volteris instead of Volteras from Voltaire. What am I missing?

And finally, what’s the difference between making Texas Teksasas, but keeping Lucas Lukas (instead of Lukasas)?

Orion7

Latvian
    Lucas is interpreted as Biblical (Greek) name, where -as is ending. In Latvian Biblical Lucas is Lūka, in Lithuanian Lukas.
    Texas in Latvian is Teksasa, so in Lithuanian Teksasas.

< Previous | Next >