Lithuanian: pažvelgti į + case

chatkigazouille

Indonesian
Hello all,

I was reading a passage where it we use the galininkas case after pažvelgti į (to look at). The sentence that I was looking at goes like this:
> Mano siela šlovina Viešpatį,

> mano dvasia džiaugiasi Dievu, savo Gelbėtoju,

> nes jis pažvelgė į nuolankią savo tarnaitę.

My questions:
1) Is it the case that we use galininkas after pažvelgti į, even if "į" is a preposition? I would think that "į" would be followed by an indirect object (therefore requiring naudininkas).

a) Could pažvelgti be used without į in this sentence
b) If it (2a) can, would it change the meaning/declension?

Thank you!

• AndrasBP

Hungarian
    1) Is it the case that we use galininkas after pažvelgti į, even if "į" is a preposition? I would think that "į" would be followed by an indirect object (therefore requiring naudininkas).
    Just like in German or Russian, Lithuanian prepositions are "governed" by a certain case. Don't worry about the meaning of the preposition, you should just learn which preposition goes with which case. Most prepositions require the genitive (kilmininkas) or the accusative (galininkas) case. A few others need the instrumental case (įnagininkas).

į, apie, prieš, pagal, pas, per + galininkas
    ant, iki, iš, nuo, tarp + kilmininkas
    su, ties, po (under) + įnagininkas

a) Could pažvelgti be used without į in this sentence
    b) If it (2a) can, would it change the meaning/declension?
    As far as I know, "pažvelgti" is normally used together with "į", it's just like "at" in English "look at".

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    In German, some prepositions govern more than one case. Is that not the case in Lithuanian?
    If you mean the distinction between location and direction, e.g. "auf dem Dach" vs. "auf das Dach", it's something that works in Russian, pretty much the same way as in German, but not in Lithuanian. Depending on the phrase, the two meanings are sometimes expressed with the same preposition and case, creating some ambiguity, which is resolved by context (like in English: "the book is on the desk" vs. "put it on the desk"). Sometimes they use two different prepositions, and in the case of "locative in", no preposition is used, just the locative case: "Lietuva - Lietuvoje" = "Lithuania - in Lithuania".

However, some Lithuanian prepositions do govern different cases, but then they have very different meanings:
    "po + Genitive" means "after", but "po + Instrumental" means "under".

< Previous | Next >