litigious cases

rositakay

Arabic
Hi,

Individuals whose nationality could not be confirmed by the Joint Commission and who were referred to ANRPTS for further verification while remaining active cases

No shows at the Joint Commission’s sessions considered to be litigious cases

Increases over the reporting period (new arrivals, births, re-activation of confirmed litigious cases)

What do you think "litigious cases" mean?
Source: Mauritania Operational Update - UNHCR

Thanks,

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    It means cases where there is a dispute (for example someone claims a certain status but the authorities have reason to doubt this).

Winstanley808

Banned
    English - U.S.
    The most familiar meaning to me of "litigious" in American English is "prone to bring lawsuits, fond of suing others," usually with an implication that the lawsuits are often frivolous or without reasonable cause. Given the context, Glasguensis and Glenfarcias are probably correct, but that is not how the word would usually be understood in American English, and their explanation should not be used as a guide to the meaning of the word in AE.

JamesM

I agree with Winstanley808. To me, "no-shows" would be people who didn't show up on the appointed date. People who didn't show up would be considered litigious cases -- people suing frivolously or in an attempt to get a payment in settlement to avoid a lawsuit.

[edit] Doing a little research on Google, I see that "litigious case" is often used where I would expect to see "lawsuit" in American English, so I honestly don't know.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    This is the heading of the list which includes the categories in the first post, each followed by the number of people in that category:

In the end of May, UNHCR and the authorities completed the verification process, initiated on December 2014, for more than 25,000 individuals registered as refugees in UNHCR’s database and whose nationality was in doubt.​

It supports Glasguensis's interpretation above.

Source: [PDF]HIGHLIGHTS

Please include information about the topic being discussed. You should be as helpful as you can to people who want to help you.

< Previous | Next >