litoral de los Andes

mlagrl

English, USA
Hola foreros:

How would I translate "el litoral de los Andes"? I found a translation that said "region bordering the mountain range." Is there another, less wordy expression?

Gracias de antemano,
Mila

• mlagrl

English, USA
    Thank you, Oldy Nuts. But in English, litoral is not used very often. It is understood to mean a coast of some kind, just like in Spanish, but most people would have to look it up.

mlagrl

English, USA
    Hmmm. I think it would be confusing in English, so maybe the "border region" is the best choice.

Moritzchen

Spanish, USA
    ¿Qué litoral de los Andes?

litoral.
    (Del lat. litorālis).
    1. adj. Perteneciente o relativo a la orilla o costa del mar.
    2. m. Costa de un mar, país o territorio.
    3. m. Arg. y Ur. Orilla o franja de tierra al lado de los ríos.
    □ V.
    pesca litoral
    Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

UUBiker

United States, English
    Whether or not "litoral" is correctly used here, the region surrounding mountains in English is frequently called the "foothills" or "the piedmont," that is, "at the foot of the mount[ain]."

Oldy Nuts

Spanish - Chile
    Whether or not "litoral" is correctly used here, the region surrounding mountains in English is frequently called the "foothills" or "the piedmont," that is, "at the foot of the mount[ain]."
    Would you use either word to describe the coast of the Andean countries; i.e., those countries that are crossed by the Andes?

By the way, this is what I have taken "el litoral de los Andes" to mean, although I agree that this is by no means the only interpretation. More context would certainly be welcome.

< Previous | Next >