Litter picking up

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I have two situations that need your help with this phrase:

1)
One of my hobbies is litter picking up. (I wonder if the bold is natural.)

2)
Let's say I am filling a blank in my resume, and the blank asks my hobby, I said:

Litter picking up.

I wonder if the bold is natural.

Thanks a lot

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    No, it is not natural. Leaving aside the unusual nature of the hobby, the normal way to refer to the activity is picking up litter:

Our local Boy Scout troop spent Saturday picking up litter in the town park.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Thanks a lot, GWB. I've used and heard "pick up litter" for a while, I used "litter picking up" for the first situation is because I think the bold part should be a noun or a noun phrase, and so is the second one.

Pick up litter is a verb phrase while litter picking up is a noun phrase. If I use "picking up litter", the first one would be like this:

One of my hobbies is to pick up litter. (Verb)
    ................. is litter picking up. (noun)

Also, when you are filling a form, you would usually use "noun' rather than 'verb", am I right?

Hobbies:

Singing
    Swimming

Not:

Sing
    Swim

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It's wrong, Silver. A structure that applies to some English phrases doesn't necessarily apply to others. We do say dog walking and horseback riding, but we don't say socks knitting or litter picking up.

P.S.: I wouldn't say on a résumé that my hobby was picking up litter. I think that would seem very odd to a prospective employer.

< Previous | Next >