Little Baby Bum

< Previous | Next >

EnglishBug

Chinese
There is a famous youtube nursery channel called "Little Baby Bum". I'm wondering what "bum" means in the name. Baby buttocks, or a person? Thanks.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The creator appears to be British therefore it will not be "bum -> a low class or lazy person" as that use of "bum" is uncommon in BE. However, I doubt that it means "buttocks" either - I suggest Bum it just a sound.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I'm asking myself the same question every time we watch this channel :D "Do they really mean the bottom?" They probably wanted to call it "little star" as the star is their logo, but ended up calling it "baby bum".

lingobingo

English - England
    “As smooth as a baby’s bottom” is a common idiom, so I don’t really see why “bum” shouldn’t be used in a domain name (especially in comparison with some others these days!).
    ——————
    Have just found this in a 2015 Guardian article about the site (founded by Derek Holder):

The channel was born in 2011 when Holder was sitting in front of a computer with the couple’s youngest child – nicknamed Little Baby Bum since her earliest days – looking for nursery rhyme videos.​

Little Baby Bum: how UK couple built world's fifth-biggest YouTube channel

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Have just found this in a 2015 Guardian article about the site (founded by Derek Holder):

The channel was born in 2011 when Holder was sitting in front of a computer with the couple’s youngest child – nicknamed Little Baby Bum since her earliest days – looking for nursery rhyme videos.​

Little Baby Bum: how UK couple built world's fifth-biggest YouTube channel
    Velisarius posted that earlier. I thought she was quoting a previous poster and didn't bother reading it properly the first time round. :)

lingobingo

English - England
    Oops, sorry! I didn’t see it in #3 (I too skipped over it because it was presented like a quote from a previous post). :oops:

“As smooth as a baby’s bottom” is a common idiom, so I don’t really see why “bum” shouldn’t be used in a domain name (especially in comparison with some others these days!).
    I suppose it's due to some mentality differences because the author of this thread is Chinese as far as I see. So, "bum" in the meaning of "bottom" could just sound strange as a name of a public channel for a non-native speaker. For example, in Russian we say "as smooth as baby's skin" (not a bum) if I translate it. We use equivalents of "bum" in baby talk, but if we saw some public channel called like this in the meaning of "baby's bottom", it would just sound very funny :D

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I've watched rhymes on this channel with my grandchildren (the soothing music is great for getting babies off to sleep too), but the name has always struck me as rather weird - until yesterday I'd assumed it was a channel run by non-native speakers.

dojibear

English - US
    There is a famous youtube nursery channel called "Little Baby Bum". I'm wondering what "bum" means in the name. Baby buttocks, or a person? Thanks.
    "Little" and "baby" are words, but "Bum" is a proper name. So it doesn't have any meaning.

Chinese proper names (surnames, given names) use real words, so each one has a meaning.

In English, proper names (surname, given names) normally do not have a meaning.

Some traditional names were originally derived from meaning-words in other languages, thousands of years ago. But in English they are simply names. For example "Sophia" has been a proper name in English for 1700 years. Originally (before that) it came from a Greek word meaning "wisdom".

< Previous | Next >