little coverage by the state press

< Previous | Next >

huynhvantinhftu

Vietnamese
I read somewhere form a Vietnamese writer

I wonder if the sentences (1)
<--- > is natural, < ---- >
Because in my country, I realize people usually say something like this. Because if we translate it into our native language, it is very normal. But I am not sure it is natural with native English speaker.

"....But the people will not care or even know about you, because (1)your story will have little coverage by the state press, which is the only press. Why would they cover your story? if they are the ones who put you in jail - it is the same system after all.
Your trial will happen at the same time with some (2)celebrity scandal which unusually and suddenly gets full coverage on all news channels, and which ultimately becomes what everyone is talking about in social networks. The news of your decade sentence will be deeply buried in the sensational scandalous turmoil, which people find more exciting and certainly 'safer' to discuss..."

In my opinion, I would prefer to use sentences below,
(1.2) Because your story will be little reported in the state press.
(1.1) Because there will be very little coverage of your story in the state press.
[(2.1) Celebrity scandal which unusually and suddenly prevails/gets prevailing/gets widespread on all news channels]

I hope to receive your advice.
Many thanks for your time and helping.

< Your question about 'celebrity scandal needs its own thread. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:
  • DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I would use version (1.1).
    I think your alternative (1.2), although it makes sense, sounds a bit stilted.

Your Q2, because it deals with a different sentence, really needs its own separate thread. ;)

huynhvantinhftu

Vietnamese
    Your Q2, because it deals with a different sentence, really needs its own separate thread. ;)
    :) :)
    I thank you so much. DonnyB
    I will create another threat about "full coverage" makes sense?"
    But how about sentence (2) and (2.1). Can we solve them here or must I create a new threat?

huynhvantinhftu

Vietnamese
    Can I use "get" instead of "have" in the sentence (1)?
    (1.3) Because your story will get little coverage by the state press.

< Previous | Next >