little money loss - possessives?

< Previous | Next >

MaximuS.111

russian
Hello, mates!
Yesterday I inquired about possessives nouns, so I've got another question :).
There is a phrase: And I know nothing hurts more than humiliation and little money loss.
So, I'm particularly interested in this - 'little money loss'.
My first question is how to define what noun the adjective 'little' modifies?
The second question is how that structure has become possible? I mean, it could be said 'the loss of little money' - which to this source would be The Genetive Case, but it doesn't seem to be Possessive Case at all. So what is it?
Thanks in advance! :)

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Where did you see this? We need the source ~ and a little context wouldn't hurt either.

It seems to me to say that losing little money [=either no money or a very small amount] is humiliating, but losing a lot of money might not be humiliating. Was is possibly "and a little money loss"? That would still be strange, but it's possible.

MaximuS.111

russian
    Hello, Cagey! :)
    I picked that from the movie 'Revolver'. Yes, you're right, it was 'and a little money loss'. Why does it seem strange to you? I believe the meaning here is that any money loss is humiliating, and 'little' here doesn't make much difference.
    However, I'm concerned more with the grammar basis of this construction. Any ideas?

Myridon

English - US
    We'd still like to have the complete sentence and context to be sure.
    I would say that the loss of a little money is a small money loss, not a little money loss. In this case, "money loss" becomes what is modified by "little/small", i.e. it's not a little-money loss, but a small money-loss. It's still a bit odd.

MaximuS.111

russian
    I'll continue this thread by adding new examples of reducing the of-phrase here :). Please, tell me if I'm right to say the sentence structure instead of the structure of the sentence?
    Thanks in advance! :)

< Previous | Next >