little/small/young children

Discussion in 'English Only' started by nuritdinova, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Hi there! what's the most appropriate variant among little/small/young children. As to me, little sounds a bit strange. I used to use these adjectives interchangeably till now. I'd rather say small children. However, I'm not sure. And, yes, the context:
    passengers with small/little/young children board the plane first.

2. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    They are all pretty interchangeable and in common use. I have a feeling that 'young' is the most common of the three, borne out by the Ngram Viewer: http://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=0&smoothing=3 There's no obvious nuance where one is more affectionate or more formal than another, or anything like that, though no doubt there are slight differences in particular situations. I don't think airlines would say 'little' here, but I can't work out why it sounds less suitable.

'Young' seems more suitable when talking about their level of schooling.

3. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I think I would take "young children" in relation to airline rules. I think this is the somewhat more formal use.

I see little and small as being less formal and could, just possibly, be taken as "little or small for their age" i.e. stunted growth; young does not suffer from this disadvantage.

4. thank you. You know, as I google it, the most common answer was also 'young' :)