little well-known

davidongjerth

Hungarian
Dear Members,

Could you tell me if the phrase "little well-known" is grammatical in the last sentence of this paragraph:

"Many people believe we call it »Black Friday« because many stores become profitable on the huge shopping day and go »into the black«. »Black« refers to stores moving from the »red« to the »black«, as in the old times records were kept by hand, and the meaning of red ink was a loss, while black meant a profit. But the true story of Black Friday is little well-known."

Thank you!

• Chez

English English
    No, you can't say 'little well-known'. You can say 'not well known' or 'little known' (but not well known is best here. 'Little known' is more usually used in front of a noun: The little-known, but true, story of Black Friday, for example).

davidongjerth

Hungarian
    Dear Members,

Could you tell me if the phrase "little well-known" is grammatical in the last sentence of this paragraph:

"Many people believe we call it »Black Friday« because many stores become profitable on the huge shopping day and go »into the black«. »Black« refers to stores moving from the »red« to the »black«, as in the old times records were kept by hand, and the meaning of red ink was a loss, while black meant a profit. But the true story of Black Friday is little well-known."

Thank you!

I'm correcting English leaving exams, and a part of a task is this: "But the true story of Black Fridy is .......................... (little) well-known." Students have to put the bracketed word into its correct form, but leaving it as it is can also be accepted according to the instruction.

Chez

English English
    To change 'little' you could make it 'less' (little, less, least). So the correct answers could be:

well-known OR less well-known

They are opposites, of course, but both are grammatically correct. We don't know which the author intended from just this sentence.

< Previous | Next >