live a life no better than a beast’s

< Previous | Next >

nicole110

chinese from Taiwan
I have seen a sentence in the net. It is "live a life no better than a beast's."
Hello, everyone, what meaning will you get from the "beast"? Will it make you think of a "pig" and a "dog" or something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Barque

Tamil
    A beast here refers to an animal. Those words refer to living like an animal, in a crude way without any room for the finer aspects of human life.

nicole110

chinese from Taiwan
    A beast here refers to an animal. Those words refer to living like an animal, in a crude way without any room for the finer aspects of human life.
    Thanks for your reply. But i'm still confused. One of my friend says that she thinks the beast here refers to animals. Another friend thinks it refers to a dog or a pig, and she also believes that dog and pig are the lowest animal in English world. what will you think about it? will the beast make you think of any kind of animal, including pig, dog, ox, and horse? are dog and pig really the lowest animal in English world?

Barque

Tamil
    will the beast make you think of any kind of animal,
    Yes, and in this context a wild one's more likely to come to mind than a domesticated one.

are dog and pig really the lowest animal in English world?
    Not dogs. I don't think pigs are considered "low" either though they are considered dirty/messy by many. The expression "living like a pig" is used to describe a messy person.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I doubt that that was the complete sentence you saw, since it looks like an imperative, instructing you to live like a beast.:D

.As the phrase you quote stands, with no context, "beast" just means "non-human animal".

nicole110

chinese from Taiwan
    Yes, and in this context a wild one's more likely to come to mind than a domesticated one.

Not dogs. I don't think pigs are considered "low" either though they are considered dirty/messy by many. The expression "living like a pig" is used to describe a messy person.
    thanks for your reply. your answers are of great benefit to me. if we describe a person's life is worse than a pig's life or a dog's life, what will you say?

Barque

Tamil
    if we describe a person's life is worse than a pig's life or a dog's life, what will you say?
    There is actually an idiom "It's a dog's life", meaning life is hard or difficult.

If someone described a person's life as being worse than an animal's I'd understand it as meaning an unpleasant life. That doesn't necessarily mean that that animal is considered low. It's just that the usual assumption is that humans enjoy life more than animals (I don't know if that's always the case :)).

< Previous | Next >