live at Jerusalem or in Jerusalem?

Exqvisitor

Italian
I am puzzled by some sentences I have found on the Internet:

Live at Jerusalem is the first live album of the experimental metal band Om“ (Wikipedia)
“He wrote a letter to Eleazar, the high priest at Jerusalem, requesting six elders of each tribe, in total seventy-two men, of exemplary life and learned in the Torah, to translate it into Greek“ (A Brief History of the Septuagint).

I thought you always have to say in Jerusalem (or to Jerusalem, if it is a destination)... Is something related to the difference between American/British English?

Can anyone help me, please?

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Is something related to the difference between American/British English?
    No. It is about the correct use of English.

"at Jerusalem" is an adverbial phrase
    "The high priest at Jerusalem = who held office (did his job) as the high priest {at Jerusalem.}

At is a preposition of place, and tells you where something exists or happens.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Live in this context means that it was recorded during a concert in Jerusalem.
    It has nothing to do with living in Jerusalem.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I wouldn't say it is normal. It seems an exception and certainly one I have seldom if ever run across. Perhaps some of the instances are where a smaller location is implied within the city. At Jerusalem [Concert Hall]. At Dallas [airport].

?

heypresto

English - England
    This follows the same pattern as the classic album 1970 album by The Who, Live at Leeds. Being the witty teenagers we were at the time, we would always pronounce it as if they resided there.

Exqvisitor

Italian
    thank you very much, RedwoodGrove. While rethinking of those expressions, I reached a similar conviction.

I wouldn't say it is normal. It seems an exception and certainly one I have seldom if ever run across. Perhaps some of the instances are where a smaller location is implied within the city. At Jerusalem [Concert Hall]. At Dallas [airport].

?[/QUOTE

< Previous | Next >