<Live in> and <inhabit>

ViB_Eng

Russian
Hello, everyone,

I noticed some phrases can have no prepositions as the phrase 'Fishes inhabit water in every part of the globe, and occupy it at different depths, and are required to subsist on various sorts of nourishment ; and as they must'. Illustrations of the comparative anatomy of the nervous system
Of course, I am accustomed to use prepositions after verbs as it <live in> 'Many Antarctic fishes live in water that is colder than their blood's freezing point.' The Diversity of Fishes
Well, when I've compared the phrase ‘a bird that inhabits North America’ that was found on the website inhabit - definition of inhabit in English | Oxford Dictionaries
I wondered why in some cases cannot use a verb with prepositions as it <inhabit>. Although, it was found that was used in the phrase 'The second subject for our consideration is, how the fishes inhabit in the sea', here is a link Summer, Or, The Causes, Appearances, and Effects of the Grand Nuptials of Nature in All Its Departments

Can it be as an exception that prepositions (any preposition <at/in/on/>) are not used after a verb "inhabit"?
Thank you!

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    The book that you cite, Summer..., with "inhabit in", was published in 1837.
    "Inhabit" may have been used that way 200 years ago, but not now. It is a transitive verb.

< Previous | Next >