Livelihood / livelihoods / a livelihood.

Dibya

Bengali
Dear all, I came across these sentences.....
1 ) Fishing is the main source of livelihood for many people in the area.
2) fishing is the main source of livelihood s.
3)It’s difficult to earn a livelihood as an artist.
4) it is difficult to earn livelihood as an artist.
5)they lost their livelihoods...
So my question is if the word 'livelihood' is an uncountable noun then why this word has been pluralised in some cases.....please explain it... Thaks a lot.......

• Chez

English English
    Sentence 1 is correct.
    Sentence 2 is incorrect if it has an 's' on livelihood.
    Sentence 3 is correct
    Sentence 4 is incorrect without the 'a' (as in sentence 3)
    Sentence 5 is correct if it refers to lots of people who earn their living in different ways.
    • If ALL the people are car makers and the car factory closes, then they (plural) lose their livelihood (jobs in the car factory).
    • If the people are car workers, shop keepers, chemists, lawyers etc etc and they ALL lose their means of earning a living, then they lose their livelihoods (there are lots of different livelihoods involved).

Dibya

Bengali
    Then does it make any difference...when '''livelihood' is used with no article...and when it is preceded by an article?
    This is very difficult....I think it is a mass noun.....can I say they earn their livelihood or they earn their livelihoods......and I have noticed one thing..the noun 'livelihood' has been used with an article'he lives a livelihood' in the sentence no 3. But no article is used in the first sentence 'source of livelihood'' please explain it..

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >