Living human psyche?

< Previous | Next >

thetazuo

Chinese - China
This sentence is from Scole Report, which is a book concerning the study into paranormal phenomena.

In the past, one of the ways of achieving a similar objective, ostensibly devised by deceased founder-members of our Society, was to provide evidential information by communicating messages immune to conscious fabrication by any individual medium, and in forms aimed at strengthening the case for survival by weakening the hypothesis that all linked messages and physical effects derived from the living human psyche.

I find it hard to understand the whole sentence. Would you please explain the sentence to me?

PS: I think "survival" in this sentence means "the post-mortem survival of huam personality".
The words in bold are difficult for me.

Thank you in advance.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The Scole Report pretends to be a scientific report of an experiment to contact dead people. In fact, the Scole Experiment was nothing but trickery. There is a report in Rational Wiki at Robin Foy - RationalWiki

Simplified, the passage says
    “In the past, one of the ways of achieving a similar objective, […] was to provide evidential information by communicating messages […] by weakening the hypothesis that all linked messages and physical effects derived from the living human psyche.”

Rearranged into a more understandable order:
    “In the past, one of the ways of achieving a similar objective was to weaken the hypothesis that
    (i) all messages that were supposed to come from dead people and
    (ii) physical effects that were were supposed to come from dead people,

in fact, came from the power of the minds of those people present at the experiment.”

[…] and this was done by sending messages to dead people and ensuring that the messages could not be altered by any individual medium, and in a way that was aimed at strengthening the evidence for survival of people after they had died.

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    The Scole Report pretends to be a scientific report of an experiment to contact dead people. In fact, the Scole Experiment was nothing but trickery. There is a report in Rational Wiki at Robin Foy - RationalWiki

Simplified, the passage says
    “In the past, one of the ways of achieving a similar objective, […] was to provide evidential information by communicating messages […] by weakening the hypothesis that all linked messages and physical effects derived from the living human psyche.”

Rearranged into a more understandable order:
    “In the past, one of the ways of achieving a similar objective was to weaken the hypothesis that
    (i) all messages that were supposed to come from dead people and
    (ii) physical effects that were were supposed to come from dead people,

in fact, came from the power of the minds of those people present at the experiment.”

[…] and this was done by sending messages to dead people and ensuring that the messages could not be altered by any individual medium, and in a way that was aimed at strengthening the evidence for survival of people after they had died.
    Thank you very much.
    So
    1. communicating messages immune to... = sending messages to dead people and ensuring that the messages could not be altered
    2. in forms = in a way that was
    3. case = evidence
    4. living human psyche = minds of those people present at the experiment

Right?

< Previous | Next >