Llevaba bastante tiempo viviendo en Inglatera.

zeppo

USA
Llevaba bastante tiempo viviendo en Inglatera.

The above was taken from an old textbook.

Is this a very common way of phrasing this?

To me, it would seem to be trying to say : I spent considerable time living in England.
But I would expect to see: Pasaba bastante tiempo viviendo en Inglatera.

The translation is given as "I'd been living in England for some considerable time."

• Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    Yes, the translation is correct, and yes, it's a pretty normal way to phrase it.
    Your other sentence translates correctly as 'Pasaba bastante tiempo...'.

I believe I understand your confusion. 'Llevar x tiempo haciendo algo' means that the action has been ongoing for x time. For example:
    Llevo diez años estudiando japonés y todavía me confunde el uso de tres alfabetos simultáneos.
    Ya llevamos una hora en la carretera pero aún no me has dicho adónde me estás llevando.

These sentences are in the present tense. If you turn them into the past you use the pretérito imperfecto.

zeppo

USA
    I believe I understand your confusion. 'Llevar x tiempo haciendo algo' means that the action has been ongoing for x time.
    Yes, since the "living in England" is no longer ongoing, it made me wonder about how common llevar would be for this use.
    Coming from English, it would be more natural for me to use pasar to express this. I'll have to get use to how llevar is used.

< Previous | Next >