Lo

jklm609

PA
United States - English
Hi all
I'm taking spanish 2 in high school, and have a question (which I have a feeling is very basic):

In spanish, I see "lo" written all over the place, in different contexts, etc.
What does it mean? Does it have a translation?

I'm have a sentence:
Lo oi (accent on the i)
I know this means something like "I heard"
Thanks! :D

• saramar

España / español
    Hi,
    "lo" is the neutral definite article (it has no translation in English, it would be the article "the" for example: lo peor: the worst (thing)) o it can be a pronom, masculin or neutral, as in your example: Lo oí, I heard it (it = lo); diselo (a él) = tell him it
    Hope to help you
    Regards
    Sara

jklm609

PA
    United States - English
    Thank you both very much
    I think I'm all sorted out now
    If I wanted to say "Did you hear it?", how would I say that?
    Thanks again!

garryknight

UK, English
    jklm609 said:
    One other place you might see it is in the phrase 'lo que' which usually means 'what'. For example, "Le pregunté a Roberto lo que dijo": "I asked Roberto what he said".

asm

Mexico, Spanish
    THe explanation of Lo is more diffcult than just saying "it" or the (it is a pronoun while the is an article). There is a big difference between it is an apple and the apple is green. You cannot say it apple or give me the.

I suggest you to study in your book what they say about direct object (DO). In few words LO substitutes whatever receives the action in the sentence.
    Yo oi un concierto (I heard/listened) a concert.

You did the action (you heard the music)
    Listening was the action (verb)
    and the concert receives the action (ob being heard) this one is the DO

If you want to simplify the sentence: yo lo oi (lo = the concert); be aware that lo is masculine and singular, because if the action goes to la cancion (fem) you use la: Yo la oi.

Ask your teacher about objects, direct and indirect, and you will have fun for a while.

jklm609 said:
    Hi all
    I'm taking spanish 2 in high school, and have a question (which I have a feeling is very basic):

What does it mean? Does it have a translation?

I'm have a sentence:
    Lo oi (accent on the i)
    I know this means something like "I heard"
    Thanks! :D

garryknight

UK, English
    One more thing about 'lo' is that it turns up in places where you might not expect it from looking at the English translation. For example: "Lo sé", "I know". You literally say, "I know it" in Spanish, while in English "it" goes unsaid.

And I agree with ASM: you'll probably have fun with direct and indirect objects, but even more so when you try to work out why some people say "lo" in places where others say "le". But it's best to save that for a rainy day... ;)

< Previous | Next >