Loaded Potato Salad

Avacyn

Chinese
Topic: Loaded Potato Salad
Added by Cagey, moderator

I don't know here ''loaded'' refer to what.Could you explain it? Thanks.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In that case, it is telling you that the potato salad has a lot of extra ingredients (in addition to potatoes). Maybe it has pickles, cucumbers, and a special mayonnaise -- or whatever people think would make a potato salad better than the usual potato salad.

I'm not sure I know what ingredients make a potato salad 'loaded'.
    'Loaded' is easier to explain when it's used in reference to cars, as in the example in our dictionary's definition of loaded:

5. (of a product, building, etc.) including many extra features, accessories, luxuries, or the like:
    The new model sports car is loaded—air conditioning, a tape deck, real leather seats are all included.
    from: WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016

waltern

English - USA
    A Google search turns up a number of unappetizing potato salad recipes, which seem to suggest bacon and cheese are the key "extra" ingredients.

Last edited:

Avacyn

Chinese
    In that case, it is telling you that the potato salad has a lot of extra ingredients (in addition to potatoes). Maybe it has pickles, cucumbers, and a special mayonnaise -- or whatever people think would make a potato salad better than the usual potato salad.

'Loaded' is easier to explain when it's used in reference to cars, as in the example in our dictionary's definition of loaded:

5. (of a product, building, etc.) including many extra features, accessories, luxuries, or the like:
    The new model sports car is loaded—air conditioning, a tape deck, real leather seats are all included.
    from: WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
    Thank you Cagey ! Your reply is very useful !

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    What may be confusing is that people's tastes vary so much. 'Loaded' is a positive adjective; not everyone thinks bacon and cheese improves a potato salad, but apparently some people do.

Cross-posted.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I would expect a "loaded" baked potato to come with bacon, cheese, and sour cream, and would assume that "loaded" potato salad includes the same ingredients.

< Previous | Next >