local furniture < store is/stores are> individually owned ...

quantum zero

Japanese
Here are two sentences

The local furniture store is individually owned, but is part of a buying syndicate.

The local furniture stores are individually owned, but is part of a buying syndicate.

I am not sure which one of these sentences is right one?
I am thinking the second one because there are more than one local furniture store.

Thanks

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with Beryl. I also would change the end of the sentence: ... , but are part of ...

If I understand correctly.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Here are two sentences

The local furniture store is individually owned, but is part of a buying syndicate.

The local furniture stores are individually owned, but is part of a buying syndicate.

I am not sure which one of these sentences is right one?
    I am thinking the second one because there are more than one local furniture store.

Thanks
    Have you been told that one of these sentences is correct and one is not, and you need to pick the correct one?

The first sentence is correct as written. The second sentence contains an error. ( stores are ... owned, but is part ...) The verb in the second part should match the plural noun in the first part.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    The choice between the two sentences, other than the correction in the post just above this one, depends on knowledge of the stores rather than on grammar:

"There is one furniture store in my town. The local furniture store is individually owned ..."

"There are four furniture stores in my town. The local furniture stores are individually owned ..."

If you know that there are several local furniture stores, the second one is correct, but that information is not part of English grammar.

< Previous | Next >