Local News=National News & Regional News?

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi

When we say: Local News, it refers to National News.. I almost sure.. but I also think it can be Regional News, I mean news related to my neighbor countries.. ? Am I right to say Local News can mean both national News and Regional News? But if international news is said, I am super clear already.

Thanks

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Camlearner. In my part of the world we generally use "local news" to describe the news about a state or a city. "National news" would be reserved for news being reported from other parts of the nation.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Really? In my country, newspapers and Englsih-speaking Cambodian TV chanells say National News? So their Englsih must be wrong?

owlman5

English-US
    Really? In my country, newspapers and Englsih-speaking Cambodian TV chanells say National News? So their Englsih must be wrong?
    I wouldn't say they were wrong as long as they are reporting news from all parts of Cambodia. If they are only reporting news from one city or region in Cambodia, then I would call that local news.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Yes they report news from both city and provinces.. all parts maybe.

But my question is I also think local news can be Regional News, I mean news related to my neighbor countries.. according to dictionary of the meaning of the word Local? Am I right to say Local News can mean both national News and Regional News? But if international news is said, I am super clear already. I mean .. regional / local flights will refer to flights within ASEAN or Asian countries... something like that.. the meaning of local / regional can mean beyond my/your country also right?

owlman5

English-US
    In the U.S. "regional" and "local" news both refer to news about/from a specific region that is smaller than the entire nation. It generally refers to news from a state, city, or county in the U.S. "National news" refers to news from all over the United States. It's entirely possible that Cambodian newscasters use these terms differently.

That might be because Cambodia is a smaller country than the U.S. is. Of course, I'm only guessing because I've never heard any news broadcasts from Cambodia. I do know that countries in Latin America use the Spanish equivalents of "local" or "regional" in the same way that we use the terms up here.

Camlearner

Khmer
    So local news, besides national news or news inside my country, can't mean news from other ASEAN or Asian countries... for example if we talk about Cambodia.

owlman5

English-US
    If the broadcast contained news from other Asian countries, I'd call it international news. "Regional news" might mean "all the news from Southeast Asia". As I've already told you, the terms are not used this way in the U.S. For instance, broadcasters don't deliver news from the southwestern states and call it "regional news". That term is reserved for news from a city, county or state.

Skribe1

English-American
    Generally "local news" would not include a neighboring country or state, it refers to a smaller specific area. An example of this would be if you were watching the local news for New York City, you wouldn't see any news for Connecticutt (which is a bordering state.) At least that's how its done here in the states. Regional news is more referring to the areas of the country I.E Southwest Region, Northeast Region Etc.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Ok thank you owlman5. So here use differnt from the US. You know? we have columns here differently about :
    - NATIONAL NEWS: information about Cambodia
    - REGIONAL/LOCAL NEWS: information about Cambodian's neighbors like other asian nations
    - INTERNATIONAL NEWS: information about of course your country, France, EU, Italy, Holland.. etc.

I just see your post after I upload this post of mine. Thank you Skribe1

So in America, local news is smaller than regional news and regional news is smaller than national news and national news is of course smaller than international news regarding outside size/scope/area of coverage of news... Am I right?

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Camlearner. I sure don't hear broadcasters using "regional news" here in Colorado as Skribe 1 has described. Our "regional news" never includes information from Utah, Wyoming, Kansas, or New Mexico. It never extends beyond the borders of the state. Perhaps things are different in California. :)

In my part of the world, regional/local news are synonyms. Once again, they refer to news from the state and cities and towns within the state. "National news" covers news from anywhere within the U.S. "International news" covers news from other countries. I suppose you could make a distinction between "local" and "regional" news, but nobody does that here.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thank you Skribe1

What I note is Actually the English newspaper daily in my country also have English-speaking native foreigners to work there but they seem to refer the word local news differently from you and owlman5 .

Skribe1

English-American
    Hello, Camlearner. I sure don't hear broadcasters using "regional news" here in Colorado as Skribe 1 has described. Our "regional news" never includes information from Utah, Wyoming, Kansas, or New Mexico. It never extends beyond the borders of the state. Perhaps things are different in California. :)

In my part of the world, regional/local news are synonyms. Once again, they refer to news from the state and cities and towns within the state. "National news" covers news from anywhere within the U.S. "International news" covers news from other countries. I suppose you could make a distinction between "local" and "regional" news, but nobody does that here.
    I was just trying to give that as a broad example. You're right I could have explained that better so my apologies. The regional news in Southern California would be "south bay" "high desert" "inland empire" etc. So they refer to large areas with many cities within those areas. But "local" news here in California at least, will for the most part refer to one major city and its nearby cities usually within the same county.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The terms local, regional, national, international, are used in other contexts as well as news - in sporting competitions, for example.

There are (at least) two possible uses of regional.

In the UK, regional is bigger than local but smaller than national.
    In other parts of the world, regional is bigger than national but smaller than international - for example, referring to a countries/nations within a geographical region.

I'm very surprised to hear that local is used to refer to something bigger than national.

< Previous | Next >