localized contained warfare

< Previous | Next >

highcs

English - U.S.
Is this a known and accepted phrase in English? Is there a better one that is more well-used?

Many thanks....

• Copyright

American English
    Google returns one result... this question. So if you could describe what situation you're looking for a term for, perhaps we can help.

Last edited:

highcs

English - U.S.
    Well, I'm translating a document from German to English... the term in German is:
    lokal begrenzte Kriege
    by which is meant small, contained, local wars... unique to a given country or region - as opposed to a larger, international war (i.e. WWI, WWII, Vietnam....)

So I'm looking for a term that encompasses all of these kinds of smaller wars - and which differentiates them from the large ones...
    as far as I know, we don't have an 'accepted' term in English - but this isn't really my field of specialty.

Many thanks....

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés

highcs

English - U.S.
    Thanks all...
    Frank78 - I didn't post it on the German forum because I didn't think it was a translating question per se, but rather a question of finding the right phrase in English.

I guess what I'm finding out is that (at least for us folks) there isn't some recognized phrase that immediately springs to mind....

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Lacking precise examples, I'm not sure if this will be generic enough, but it is fairly common in news reporting and academic works: "local armed conflict".

< Previous | Next >