Locations change, the rationale, the objective

< Previous | Next >

The Lord of Gluttony

Turkish
Greetings,

I've come across a sentence as follows and do not understand exactly what it means although I have the context at hand. (The subtext is, I am stupid. :) )

"But you bring down one enemy and they find someone even worse to replace him. Locations change, the rationale, the objective. Yesterday's enemies are today’s recruits."
Source: A speech in a video game named "Modern Warfare 2", Link to the transcript

I think of two possible meanings:

1-) "Locations change, the rationale, the objective." = Locations change. Therefore, the rationale and the objective change.

2-) "Locations change, the rationale, the objective." = Locations change the rational and the objective.

* I am also curious about why it is written the way it is written. Perhaps, it is a stylistic choice but there must a reason for its style, and, what is that reason?

** Even after looking at the sentence from each the perspective of two possible meaning propositions that I have put above, the sentence still does not make sense to me. So, I appreciate if you could word it differently, and thus more clearly. (Clearness of it will probably arise when you word it differently.)

Many thanks!

• Copyright

American English
    I interpret it as "Locations change. The rationale and objectives change." (All three change.) It's a speech ... we say things in speech (even if it's a scripted speech for a video game) that we might reword in writing.

< Previous | Next >