Log back in / Sign back in

< Previous | Next >

gaboromval

Spanish - El Salvador
I've run into a dilemma at work where a quality agent marked an agent down in the grammar attribute for using "You will need to reset your password, so you can log in back to your account." I have been reading phrasal verb rules (separable and non separable verbs) as well as adverbs collocations all over the internet, so I've concluded that in this example the word 'back' acts as a position adverb and not as an object. My question is: Is it correct to say 'log back in / sign back in'? If so, why is it correct?

Please advise! Thanks :)

• lingobingo

English - England
    Yes, it’s correct. Why? I don’t have a simple answer to that!

Even though they mean the same, the fixed word order varies between back and again:

Go home again · Go back home / Log in again · Log back in / Sit down again · Sit back down​

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    back (adv.) = to a previous state or position.
    I have been reading phrasal verb rules (separable and non separable verbs)
    You will find that these is not "rules" but "guidance."
    'log back in / sign back in'?
    Yes. This sounds somewhat better than log in back
    If so, why is it correct?
    That's a strange question - why is 2+2 = 4 correct? :D It is often easier to say why things are not correct.

The user's problem was that he could not get into his account. -> he could not gain entry into his account.

The preposition "into" is used where the verb is one of motion or change of state: this is a case of a change of state.
    (The water changed into ice.:tick:
    The water changed to ice.:tick:
    The water changed in ice.:cross:)

In "log in" in is an adverbial complement,
    Back is an adverb modifying "in".
    Back in is [adverb + adverbial complement]
    and the adverbial complement of "log in" is "to your account",

"You will need to reset your password, so you can log in back to your account." :cross:
    "You will need to reset your password, so you can log back in to your account." :cross:
    "You will need to reset your password, so you can log back in into your account." :tick:

However, the collation of "log in + into your account" is served by in + to

gaboromval

Spanish - El Salvador
    Thank you very much!

I wanted to know if I could use 'log in' back and 'log back in' interchangeably, but now I will go with 'log in again' or 'log back in' instead :)

< Previous | Next >