• martuszka

polish
    A company merchandises fuel terminals that controls fuel taken (can I say "taken"?) from fuel tanks. In order to refuel any vehicle you need to log in your personal card.

sdgraham

USA English
    All you have done is repeat the expressiuon. Please tell us what you mean by it. (context)

For example: Do you hand it to a clerk who then writes the information into a dusty ledger with a quill pen?

martuszka

polish
    By saying personal card I mean RFID card. For instance the Zipcar car-sharing service uses RFID cards for locking and unlocking cars and for member identification. So "logging in" means that the terminal identyfies a specified USER (this information is saved and sent to special software on the company's computer in order to control fuel distributed and prevent thefts, the pump power is on and you can start refueling a vehicle. Is that any understandable?

sdgraham

USA English
    In AE, we usually "swipe" such cards. I've never heard of "log in" in this context.

Concise Oxford English Dictionary © 2008 Oxford University Press:
    swipe /swʌɪp/ informal
    ▶verb
    3 pass (a swipe card) through an electronic reader​

Egmont

English - U.S.
    An RFID card is not swiped. It just has to be within a certain distance of the reader. (The "R" part of its name stands for "radio.")

You log in the user, not the card. The card is simply a way to identify the user. If you must say something about the card, you read it.

martuszka

polish
    OK, thank you so much:) so could I say: "in order to start refueling swipe the USER card."?
    Can I also say then: "The amount of fuel taken by the user is displayed in the middle of the terminal's screen."?

Myridon

English - US
    Since "you" don't do anything (there's a private conversation between the card and the pump), it seems to me you need something like:
    "You must allow the pump to read your card before you can refuel."
    "The pump has to read your card before you can refuel."

martuszka

polish
    You're all so kind! Problem with cards is finally solved:) Could you also help me with the expression "fuel taken"? Or shall I say "fuel supplied"? thank you in advance

< Previous | Next >