Logistics logística

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
Attached is the beginning of a logistics glossary. Definitions may be longer than desired. Many definitions will require cross references to be meaningful. Ideas for xref (cross referencing) will be welcomed in the discussion sub-forum.

Thanks,
Cuchuflete

PS- Please remember...add whatever you like, do not edit or delete anything.

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    I haven't added any new definitions, but I did change the format. It was difficult to see the entire definition before. Now, it seems more user friendly. :)

If this alteration is over-stepping in any way, please, let me know.

Comment:
    I think that anticipation inventory's definition should be in the definition column...

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    cuchuflete said:
    Thanks for the comments and the improvements, Venus.
    I'm deleting the previous versions, to avoid the rush of cross-posts.:)
    This is a fabulous idea. It really cleans up the thread, and makes it forero-friendly, opino yo. :)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    It can be a little tricky....I only deleted my own first sheet, and yours, after incorporating it into the last version. We need to be careful not to delete a sheet without guaranteeing that all of its material is included in the latest version.

This also freed up some of your attachment alotment.

Phryne

Argieland--Esp/Eng
    Logistics??? I wonder why I'm not liking this thread... :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I added some terms and definitions, which I'm not sure that they are appropriate or not. Later I'll add some more.

Please correct my definitions with no mercy, since my English is a little ... you know... weak. :D

Saludos logísticos

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Phryne said:
    Logistics??? I wonder why I'm not liking this thread... :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I added some terms and definitions, which I'm not sure that they are appropriate or not. Later I'll add some more.

Please correct my definitions with no mercy, since my English is a little ... you know... weak. :D

Saludos logísticos

Hola MJ,
    Your additions look good..I question the word commercial in this one:

charge for transporting commercial goods Freight charges may be applied to Household goods and other non-commercial moves also.

Saludos neologísticos.
    Cuchu

OlivierG

France / Français
    Hello,
    I asked for the help of a friend of mine, who works in transportation business for a few decades. It has been unfortunately not much successful.

All the terms from FOB to FIO are called "incoterms". They are (almost) never translated. Either the acronym is used, or the English words, but even if a French translation exists and can be found on the Internet for example "FOB = Franco bord", my friend had never heard about them, so I can't add the French translation to the glossary.

In the same way, AS/RS (Automatic storage/retrieval system) is often used as is (AS/RS, or even "système d'AS/RS"). It is sometimes described as "système de stockage et de récupération automatique", but it is neither the "official" term nor actually used.

For "Anticipation inventory", he thought it was "Stock prévisionnel". But a reverse search on Google gives : "Stock prévisionnel = Projected inventory". So if "Projected" and "Anticipation" means the same, then I will go for it, otherwise I'll have to find something else.

I post the result anyway. Please feel free to correct it.

Attachments

• Logistics logística 5.xls
      9.5 KB · Views: 152

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    OlivierG said:
    Hello,
    I asked for the help of a friend of mine, who works in transportation business for a few decades. It has been unfortunately not much successful.

All the terms from FOB to FIO are called "incoterms". They are (almost) never translated. Either the acronym is used, or the English words, but even if a French translation exists and can be found on the Internet for example "FOB = Franco bord", my friend had never heard about them, so I can't add the French translation to the glossary.

In the same way, AS/RS (Automatic storage/retrieval system) is often used as is (AS/RS, or even "système d'AS/RS"). It is sometimes described as "système de stockage et de récupération automatique", but it is neither the "official" term nor actually used.

For "Anticipation inventory", he thought it was "Stock prévisionnel". But a reverse search on Google gives : "Stock prévisionnel = Projected inventory". So if "Projected" and "Anticipation" means the same, then I will go for it, otherwise I'll have to find something else.

I post the result anyway. Please feel free to correct it.
    Hhhmmmm Many thanks Olivier...

Yes, we call them incoterms also, but usually in reference to international trade. When used to describe domestic trade, they are not thought of as incoterms. This, of course, makes no sense, but such are the ways of language:)
    There are numerous web sites with the incoterms. Thus, there's not much point in duplicating those all here. If this were a dictionary project, it would be extremely important to explain everything in your note. For a glossary, I'm not sure.

Important: To other glossary participants: The incoterms are published by the International Chamber of Commerce
    Please do not copy extensively from their web site, which makes clear, in big letters, up at the top:
    These standard trade definitions that are most commonly used in international contracts are protected by ICC copyright.
    This is a good information source: http://www.iccwbo.org/index_incoterms.asp

Citrus

Español / México
    Hi everybody, :)

Here’s my contribution to the logistics glossary. (logistics logística 6.xls) It took me forever (lots of work, you know!!!) but I finally finished what I wanted to add!!! The column in spanish is filled up and I took the liberty of adding some new terms I use regularly or that my clients frequently ask me what they mean . . . (hope it’s OK;) )

I feel I must warn you that it’s the first one I do and I’m not completely sure it’s done correctly :confused: . . . on the same note: all corrections are completely welcome, suggestions as well.

Particular doubts:

* On the last two lines: I don’t know if it is correct to use the term “Duty Fair”. In spanish we say “tarifa de impuestos” . . .

* On the second line . . . “Anticipation Inventory” the term is almost never used in spanish, but when necessary we say “Inventario de Prevención”. But it’s NOT an official term.

* Terms like CIF, CIFFO and CFR are used to make clear that the cost either includes them or not and that they are refered to as one, but not necessarily states who is to pay for it

I think that’s it . . . :p

I hope this helps you and that we can continue building together this wonderful tool !!!

Cheers
    Citrus

Attachments

• Logistics logística 6.xls
      14 KB · Views: 222