logo & charte graphique

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by squeeky, Jul 8, 2005.

1. squeeky New Member

Var, France
    England - English
    :confused:
    Hi Guys

I hope you can help me, I've looked everywhere for a satisfactory english version of "logo & charte graphique" and am still looking.

context: for (eg) 10 euros you can buy the design of a new logo for a business, for your 10 euros you get the logo. (that's it). For (eg) 100 euros you get the logo in a dozen formats, as well as the colour chart, typeface details, and anything else you need to recreate it from scratch.

so, logo = logo
    and logo & charte graphique = logo & ??

thanks in advance for your help!

2. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    charte graphique = graphic charter

3. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    construction diagram?
    The one I am looking at includes all the detailed dimensions, typefaces, colour specifications...

4. chapteryx

chapteryx Senior Member

might be better to avoid the strict translation and offer :

logo and composition elements
    or,
    logo with all graphic components

5. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
  6. chapteryx

chapteryx Senior Member

I made the suggestion because of the context it will be used in.
    It appears that this will be used as a price list for selling logos,
    and although a "graphic charter" is completely appropriate for
    a larger work, like a publication or website or whole advertisement,
    it's not a term generally understood in common english.

Yes, in some graphic design products, it is referred to as a charter,
    or manifest, or several other terms.

The potential customer is unlikely to have an understanding of
    "charter", so I thought to offer something more common.

Didn't mean to mislead ... sorry if I did.

7. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Sure enough, for 100 euros I wouldn't expect the full package:)
    logo and design, maybe?

8. squeeky New Member

Var, France
    England - English
    Thanks for the responses, so far Chapteryx's "composition elements" and "graphic components" seem the closest to the mark... although... I'm still struggling!
    Panjandrum - "construction diagram" is one of those terms that I think applies to larger, more technically detailed work, and is worth more than 100 euros!

Thanks guys!

9. squeeky New Member

Var, France
    England - English
    I nearly forgot, I guess I should have mentioned that the phrase that follows "charte graphique" is "déclinasion logo" - which seems to be the "graphical composition" aspect.
    I don't know if it helps, it certainly doesn't help me!

10. Relationnel New Member

French, France
    Je suggères "look and feel" pour charte graphique.

11. CARNESECCHI Senior Member

Auvergne
    French / France
    Hello,
    Our "corporate identity" is built with a "brand identity platform" specifying the "logo", "typography and fonts", "colours" and "grids". For elements that are to be seen by customers (public shows, vehicules...), we have an "exterior signage" definition specifying the "graphic elements", "layout principles" and "signs"
    Hope it helps!

12. Relationnel New Member

French, France
    It does indeed ! Thank you ;-)

13. kbliss New Member

English - French
    Hello,

I know contributions to this thread have ceased for some time, but the question posed is one I often struggled with myself. In looking for clarification, I came across a website (Kioskea) that explains things well when this term is used in the context of website design and creation.

They give the following definition:

A "graphic charter" is the comprehensive document that lists the presentation rules for the graphic elements that convey a website's visual identity.

The graphic charter defines a webpage's graphic outfitting, especially the sizes, colours and appearance of text, the site's images and buttons, as well as their position in relation to other objects on the page.

They also define other terms related to web design. If you Google 'Kioskea' you'll find their website. The page with the definitions is under 'IT Developpers > Webmastering > Knowledge > Web Design.'

Best,
    K.

14. kieran75 Senior Member

France, Spain
    English
    Just be aware that Kioskea is not a native English-speaking website and that if you google "graphic charter" you will only get about 20 000 hits, most of the tops sites being Belgian, French, Quebecois, Madagascan, etc...

Try the same experiment with "style guidelines".

15. kbliss New Member

English - French
    You are right --'style guidelines'! I'd forgotten about this term!

Thank you!

16. sysi New Member

Czech
    How about "graphic standards"?
    Found in dictionnaire.reverso.net.

17. irisa Member

London
    english
    I was seeking inspiration on CHarte graphique and have just translated this as "Logo Usage Guidelines", as the title of a comprehensive document outlining the terms of use, sizing, colour and all other graphic components of a company/brand logo. It is a term widely used. Hope this helps.

18. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    In cases where the instructions are presented as a written document, I'm used to hearing it called a "Style manual" or a "House manual". To distinguish these from the style manuals relating to language usage (sometimes graphics and usage are combined in one document), you can call them "Graphic style manual" etc...

19. derw2008 Member

Paris, France
    English
    This is a tough one, as it may depend on the exact nature of the document. However, after much research, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend "Brand and Identity Guidelines", which has been used by UK Trade and Investment, for example.