lone parent benefits

< Previous | Next >

Moon Palace

French
Hello everyone,
I don't have a particular context to offer, but I would like to know whether this lone parent benefits is only linked to the family composition, or whether it can be linked to the parent's unemployment.
In fact, the article I am studying mentions the idea that the guarantee of lone parent's benefits could be extended if that person found a job. And I wonder if it is not a specific job benefit for lone parents?
Thanks for helping me out on what is more of a social question than a linguistic one, although it mixes the two I suppose.

• Brioche

Australia English
    In Australia, a benefit is paid to single parents.
    Originally it was available only to mothers, and called the Supporting Mother's Benefit. Later, either parent could claim, and it was changed to Single Parent Payment, and it is currently called Parenting Payment Single.

It is means tested. It starts to reduce if the parent earns more than about $300 a months, and cuts out completely at about $3000 a month.

Joobs

Banned
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    Hello everyone,
    In fact, the article I am studying mentions the idea that the guarantee of lone parent's benefits could be extended if that person found a job. And I wonder if it is not a specific job benefit for lone parents?
    In UK some benefits are some aren't - it really depends on the person's actual circumstances and income (if any). It is hard to give any real answer unless one knows a persons personal details. Obviously it would be unwise to put such on a public forum or even give them to some cyber-friend.

From conversations we have had privately I assume you specifically mean the UK. Therefore, here is a link to the DWP website which has all the details and rules.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/

Moon Palace

French
    Thanks to the three of you, but here is the full sentence (which I didn't have at hand when starting the thread), and my question is: does this allowance decrease in the UK as in Australia when the person finds a job? Is it more important if the parent is on the dole?

Ministers are planning three measures to encourage employers to offer jobs to these three groups: a £400 training allowance to train up new recruits from this fast-track programme; extending the guarantee of lone parents' benefits from the current first 15 days of work up to the first six weeks.

Thanks again.
    PS Joobs :), I am neither applying :D nor asking for a precise amount, I only want to know what the criteria for allotting it or not are with a view to translating the sentence.
    Thanks for the link Joobs, but I am going to get lost in that site, and I can't find the answer to my question. ??

Joobs

Banned
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    Thanks to the three of you, but here is the full sentence (which I didn't have at hand when starting the thread), and my question is: does this allowance decrease in the UK as in Australia when the person finds a job? Is it more important if the parent is on the dole?

Ministers are planning three measures to encourage employers to offer jobs to these three groups: a £400 training allowance to train up new recruits from this fast-track programme; extending the guarantee of lone parents' benefits from the current first 15 days of work up to the first six weeks.
    This means that unemployed people (specifically single parents) will get their full benefit(s) extended from the present 15 days-42 days on starting work. Although not mentioned they would also be entitled to "Tax Credits" (dependent on working income) which means they would be given extra benefit money to offset some of the money they pay in tax.

PS Joobs :)

Thanks for the link Joobs, but I am going to get lost in that site, and I can't find the answer to my question. ??
    The criteria for all the benefits are in that site but I do concede that wading through it all would be an onerous task. :D

Moon Palace

French
    Thanks for the wonderfully precious and timesaving information Joobs :). I now get it. At long last...:eek: (end of the week, half efficient brain :rolleyes:)

< Previous | Next >