Loneliness vs Solitude

< Previous | Next >

phtg

Spanish
Is there any difference in meaning between the words “loneliness” and “solitude”?

And, consequently, what would be the difference between these two phrases: “World is full of loneliness” vs “World is full of solitude”.

(The phrase should be used as an essay title.)

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Loneliness is about how you feel. It may be shock-full of people around you and yet you may feel lonely.
    Solitude is quite factual in describing the absence of people around you, but it says nothing of how you feel about that. I enjoy solitude. Others don't.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Loneliness" means "sadness, cause by being alone" or "sadness, caused by being away from your close friends or family".

"Solitude" does not mean sadness. The two words are totally different.

phtg

Spanish
    Thank you. I got it.

If "solitude" is a factual description, lacking emotions, how would you describe "a solitary lover" then?

Who may be such a person, I mean which other characteristics would fit to "a solitary lover"?

You little ripper!

Australian English
    According to this website:

Loneliness is marked by a sense of isolation. Solitude, on the other hand, is a state of being alone without being lonely and can lead to self-awareness.

When I read the title of the thread, the poem by William Wordsworth (I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud) where he uses both words popped into my head. I learnt it when I was in primary school and is still one of my favourites. :)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Thank you. I got it.

If "solitude" is a factual description, lacking emotions, how would you describe "a solitary lover" then?

Who may be such a person, I mean which other characteristics would fit to "a solitary lover"?
    What is "a solitary lover"? I don't know what that means. To be "a lover" takes two people, not one.

phtg

Spanish
    What is "a solitary lover"? I don't know what that means. To be "a lover" takes two people, not one.
    There is a famous song called "Solitary lovers" by Fiat Lux –

< Unapproved video link removed. Cagey, moderator >

I suppose it should have some meaning...

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >