long consonants

Nino83

Italian
Minasan konnichiwa!

I'd like to ask you if the American pronunciation (the red one) in backcourt and backcountry is similar to the long /k/ one can find in gakkō.
The American one seems to be similar (but not identical) to the Italian long /k/, like in pacco, [k̚ k] (while in the British one the first /k/ in backcourt seems to be glottalized, [ʔk]). If you find it similar to the Japanese long /k/, it would be a good example and it could help English speakers to learn how to pronounce long consonants.

Mod note: thread moved from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • karlalou

Banned
    母国語:日本語
    Hi Nino,

When talking about only [k], it seems all the examples you brought up are the same to me, but
    when you talk about long [k], I think I need a vowel with it.
    I find that, however short I pronounce it, [k] ends up as [ku] like 'coo' of English 'cook' to me. I find the 'co' in backcourt has the pronunciation of [ko]. The 'co' in backcountry has the pronunciation of [ka].

Gakkō has two 'k' in convenience of coding the sound, but it's only to signify the kind of sound, and it doesn't mean that we pronounce it twice. 学校 (がっこう/gakkō) is pronounced with the first syllable is fairly similar to English 'got' without pronouncing 't', and with the second syllable is like 'co' of English 'coca'. With the intonation of the second syllable up.

Last edited:

Nino83

Italian
    Hi karlalou, and thank you for answering.
    Actually the Italian and Japanese "long" (geminate) consonants are equal, I don't have any problem with them. ;)
    What I'd like to ask you is the following. How would you write in Japanese the words that you hear in those samples?
    バッカントリー (like in 許), バカントリー (like in ばか) or do you hear バックカントリー?