long the playground of...

julka12

Italian
Hello everyone! I'd need some help with the last bit of this sentence: "Rules for the use of models are gradually emerging from an area of mathematical theory of great generality, which is related to "black box theory", long the playground of the engineer." Can someone please explain what the author means?
For what I understand, this mathematical theory follows the direction given by engineering, but I wouldn't bank on that.
Thanks in advance :)

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    Hi julka, and welcome, :)

The rules of the forum require that you give your attempt at a translation first, so once you do that, we can start helping out.

julka12

Italian
    Hi theartichoke, thanks for your reply :) And I'm really sorry for my mistake, I should have put my version.

So, for what concerns the first part, my translation would be: Gradualmente, stanno affiorando regole relative all’impiego di modelli da un’area di teoria matematica di generalità, in relazione alla “teoria della scatola nera".
    There are no results for teoria della scatola nera on the internet, so I believe a better translation would be teoria dei modelli black box.
    The second part of the sentence, "long the playground of the engineer", is what really confuses me because of the term "playground". It just seems wrong to me that playground should be translated as terreno di gioco in this context. Is it a way to refer to the field of engineering?

Thanks again for your time :)

theartichoke

English - Canada
    "long the playground of the engineer" simply means that "black box theory" has traditionally been a field that engineers have studied and worked on. If terreno di gioco isn't used in this figurative way in Italian, just plain terreno should get the point across, and there may be better equivalents that native Italian speakers can think of.

julka12

Italian
    "long the playground of the engineer" simply means that "black box theory" has traditionally been a field that engineers have studied and worked on. If terreno di gioco isn't used in this figurative way in Italian, just plain terreno should get the point across, and there may be better equivalents that native Italian speakers can think of.

Ok, thanks a lot! I just wanted to be sure I was on the right track and I thought about terreno too, but maybe it is a bit too neutral in this context. I will definitely think of some idiomatic expression to translate it better.

Thanks for your help :)

julka12

Italian
    What about "terreno di competenza"? I see that used sometimes in a figurative sense.
    Hi, I do like terreno di competenza very much, thanks! I feared I wasn't on the right track with terreno. And I believe that simply campo or ambito would be acceptable translations.

< Previous | Next >