long time no hear

Discussion in 'English Only' started by eli7, Apr 16, 2017.

1. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    Greetings,

I know there is a sentence"long time no see" meaning that there is a long time we have not seen each other. Is there "Long time no hear" as well?
    In cases that two people never met each other just keeping contact online as a net or pen friend).

2. Retired-teacher Senior Member

British English
    It's not a phrase that I've ever heard used, but I guess that it would be understood. It does sound odd though. I would never use it.

3. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    What is the alternative way of saying that? What can I say in that situation?

4. Retired-teacher Senior Member

British English
    "It's a long time since I heard from you".

5. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    Thank you :)

6. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    What about "long time no talk to you"?

7. Retired-teacher Senior Member

British English
    That's not normal either.

8. Juhasz Senior Member

English - United States
    "Long time no talk" might work, but it's a stretch. "Long time no talk to you" is too much of a stretch. The problem is "long time no see" is not grammatical. We recognize the phrase as an idiom and accept its syntactical oddness because it's familiar. A slight alteration of the common phrase, such as "long time no hear" is easily recognizable as a play on "long time no see" so it's acceptable - at least, it is to me.

If the original is stretched too far, if we have to think too hard about its relation to the original, we'll react poorly. I'd say stick to very minor alterations: long time no see/hear/feel/smell/taste. Also note that all of these alterations are fairly silly word play, so don't use them in a situation where informality or humor would be unwelcome.

9. DonnyB

DonnyB Senior Member

Coventry, UK
    English UK Southern Standard English
    "Long time no see" is very much a set phrase, and as with a lot of set phrases it's a bit unwise to tinker about too much trying to adapt it.

At best it's liable to sound quirky or plain odd, and worst it could end up being virtually incomprehensible.

10. kentix Senior Member

English - U.S.
    I've heard people say "Long time no hear" but even when they say it they kind of laugh because they know it's not a normal thing to say.

11. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    Thanks a ton all, I appreciate your participation in the topic and I learned a lot :)