long time no see vs. long time no read

gilespy

Serbian
Hi all,

I know it is acceptable to use "long time no see" in everyday colloquial conversation, but would be the case when you haven't had a written conversation for a long time.

More precisely, I have a business colleague oversees, whom I never met in person, but with whom I worked on a project long enough to become a sort of friends. After the project ended, from time to time we send each other an e-mail.

The "long time no read" sound a little bit awkward and I am not sure if the "long time no see" can be used, having in mind the previously said.

I appreciate your comments and thoughts.

• owlman5

English-US
    "Long time no see" wouldn't make much sense unless you are seeing this colleague in person.

I would understand "long time no read" and find it mildly funny, but I don't know enough about the colleague. How old is the colleague? Where does the colleague live? People around my age (53) or older who live in the US are likely to recognize some variant of "long time no see". I'm not at all sure that people with different backgrounds would understand the remark.

gilespy

Serbian
    He is in early forties and lives in Philadelphia. He is US born and has an University education (if that is relevant :))

Having said that, would you recommend trying the "long time no read" approach?

mmafan67

English- American
    Yes it's fine to say that. Going back to what owlman5 said, substituting "see" for "read" would be interpreted as comical.

MilkyBarKid

British English
    I find "long time no read" a bit forced.

Wouldn't 'long time no hear' be more appropriate to the situation?

hear from: be contacted by (someone), especially by letter/email or telephone.

mmafan67

English- American
    Hear in the US, it doesn't sound that forced. I'm not sure about the UK however so if you want to use long time no hear, than that would be acceptable as well. Although it would not have the same comic effect because in saying long time no read :p

< Previous | Next >