long time no see

• .synq

English (Ireland)
    "Hi Barry, I have not seen you in a very long time!"
    "Hi Barry, I've not seen you in a very long time!"
    "Hi Barry, it has been a long time since I saw you last"

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi Barry, I haven't seen you in yonks (slightly old-fashioned, could mean a few weeks to a few years)

Hi Barry, I haven't seen you in donkey's years (means "many years" - in which case, you might start with something other than "Hi Barry", such as "Hi, is that you Barry? I haven't seen you in donkey's years")

fdk47

Tagalog
    It must be a long time to say “Long time no see.” so you wouldn't say it after a two-week winter vacation, right? How long would it have to be, a few months, a year, several years?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It must be a long time to say “Long time no see.” so you wouldn't say it after a two-week winter vacation, right? How long would it have to be, a few months, a year, several years?
    That's pretty subjective. In any (casual) situation where you would say "I haven't seen you in so long!" you could also say "Long time no see."

It all depends on your expectations and emotions. If you normally see someone several times a day, two weeks might seem like a long time not to have seen them. On the other hand, if you normally see someone once a year, it might not feel like a long time until several years had passed. And if it's someone you don't like and never wanted to see again, you might not say it even after a decade.

< Previous | Next >