long time no see

• Einstein

UK, English
    E' un modo di dire conosciutissimo, intenzionalmente sgrammaticale, quindi non cercare di analizzarlo! Letteralmente: "Lungo tempo niente vedere!"

Alxmrphi

UK English
    È da un po' che ci vediamo, a variation on giacinta's, but I'm not sure if "un po'" equates to "a while" here, in English "a bit" can be be quite "a while" but I'm not sure.

Scopa Nuova

USA, English
    I'm trying to find the equivalent Italian expression for the AE "Long time no see" , meaning, It has been a long time since I have seen you/we have seen each other.

I searched the Forum and found this http://forum.wordreference.com/Showthread.php?t=4464544&highlight=long+time+no+see . Although there were many suggestions, I don't believe there was agreement as to which was correct or the best one.

Perhaps there is some new thinking on this.

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hmmm...
    Your link didn't work, but there's an old thread HERE with many answers.

From my limited perspective "Da un po' (di tempo)" might be the most common,
    but because "long time no see" is fixed and idiomatic in AE, I wonder if "Lungo tempo niente vedere" is the
    closest.

Let's see what the experts say...

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Yeah, your link isn't working for some reason. In any case, even if a thread seems not to have come to a conclusion, you're still allowed (not to mention encouraged) to still post there instead of creating a new thread, especially if the question/phrase is the exact same one you're having trouble with. :)

Have a lot at the thread Tim has provided, and if you've still got questions, please post there. Thanks!

brian

closed-chiuso

Scopa Nuova

USA, English
    Hi all,

When I searched the Forum and found this Thread, I thought it would be just what I needed. There are 10 different suggestions here but I can't figure out which would be the one(s) commonly used in everyday Italian. One can imagine "long time no see" from any of the 10 but one doesn't stand out above the rest.

I would like to reopen this Thread and get comments on what the typical Italian in Italy would say that compares to the AE expression "long time no see", meaning It has been a long time since I have seen you/we have seen each other.

Grazie in anticipo

Scopa Nuova :)

Jazzhill

English/Australia
    Re-reading this thread, I can see the problem. "Long time no see" is a very casual way of saying "I haven't seen you for a while!". Yet in most cases it is not literally "E' da tanto tempo che non ci vediamo..." because it can even be used between really good friends who haven't seen each other for 2 days or something.

Hence, you need something short that can be lightly usable in those sort of situations. I would have to say the best way of saying it would be:

"Da quanto tempo!" or "Ma da quanto tempo!"

This phrase, I think, is the one most used in the sort of situations that we us "Long time no see" in.

Jazzhill.

Scopa Nuova

USA, English
    Re-reading this thread............

Hence, you need something short that can be lightly usable in those sort of situations. I would have to say the best way of saying it would be:

"Da quanto tempo!" or "Ma da quanto tempo!"

This phrase, I think, is the one most used in the sort of situations that we us "Long time no see" in.

Jazzhill.
    Yes it is used for extremes such as 5 years ago or yesterday (with the opposite meaning). Of course context is needed to know if the person really means "long time" or it is being said sarcastically or jokingly to mean "we just saw each other". I agree, a short phrase is best.

For now, at least, "Da quanto tempo" is high on the list. Any thoughts from the natives?

Multe Grazie,

Scopa Nuova :)

Angel.Aura

del Mod, solo L'aura
    Italian
    "Da quanto tempo!" or "Ma da quanto tempo!" :tick:

I agree.
    :)
    Take a look here, too:
    Da quanto tempo che non ci sentiamo!
    It has been a while
    long time, no speak

PS
    Yes it is used for extremes such as 5 years ago or yesterday (with the opposite meaning). Of course context is needed to know if the person really means "long time" or it is being said sarcastically or jokingly to mean "we just saw each other". I agree, a short phrase is best.

For now, at least, "Da quanto tempo" is high on the list. :tick:Any thoughts from the natives?

. . . Any thoughts from the natives? . . .
    You are justified in finding this phrase confusing.

It comes from the early US movie industry's attempt to make their American Indian characters sound authentic. It approximates the simplified form of English [called American Indian Pidgin] spoken by the Indian's early attempts at communication with Anglo culture. In breva, it is simplified English and translations into Italian will lose that nuance.

Scopa Nuova

USA, English
    Angel.Aura

Thank you for your help in defining Italian expressions equivalent to "long time no see" and similar AE expressions. Your comments have been very helpful. I know what to use now. Da quanto tempo seems to be the one.

Coyote!

Thank you for your interesting comments. I wasn't aware that "long time no see" had origins in our movie industry, but sounds like our movie industry and I have no doubts that you are correct. While that does make finding an equivalent expression in another language a little tricky (as shown by the 10 suggestions in this thread) our Forum friends came up with a solution as the always do.

Scopa Nuova :D

< Previous | Next >